back to article French mayor busts overly busty bust

The good burghers of the French town Neuville-en-Ferrain will no longer be able to enjoy the ample charms of a "patriotic female statue" after the mayor ordered its removal from the town hall on the grounds of excessive chesticles. Gerard Cordon took exception to the bust of Marianne, the "traditional female embodiment of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ChrisF18

Verb, adjective, noun

Congratulations on headline of the week. Take it easy the next few days.

2. Tom 7

Thats nothing

there's a church in east herts with an old carved white marble wall plaque of a couple facing each other and the wife is holding the man's round headed staff or walking stick and I've been to weddings and funerals there where people (including a best man) have been reduced to hysterics at the most inappropriate moments on spotting the rude interpretation of the carving.

3. Tony S
    Happy

In the interests of accurate reporting...

...I did try to find a picture of said statue for other readers. The only one seems to be the same one that can be seen here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8422910/French-mayor-removes-statue-because-its-breasts-are-too-big.html

The interesting thing is that the story appears to have broken on 1st April. ??

A totally non-scientific survey amongst staff here seems to come to the view that they appear to be perfectly normal and of a decent shape, size and pertness. However, a comment was made that if she doesn't start wearing a bra, by the time she is 50, she will be sagging down to her navel!

4. Gavin Jamie
    Paris Hilton

Can't find it

Found the Town Hall but can't find her jubbliness on street view.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Neuville-en-Ferrain&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Neuville-en-Ferrain,+Nord,+Nord-Pas-de-Calais,+France&gl=uk&ll=50.750018,3.152491&spn=0.002257,0.00478&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=50.749979,3.152715&panoid=8wbqslQ3dyAP1NBmhByrgw&cbp=12,157.76,,0,2.22

5. Michael Leuty

This is the sort of thing

Spotted at a marriage in Bondoufle, a suburb to the south of Paris.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmleuty/185863329/

Mike

6. Lamont Cranston

Will the new statue

display Laetitia Casta's lovely teeth?

7. Elmer Phud

Naked Lady

Near me there is a statue of a lady that has a proper title - not sure if anyone knows what it's really called -- but for as long as I remember it's been known as 'the naked lady'. The bus drivers all seem to know it as that, the locals call it that and no-one gets upset.

Anyway - I reckon a statue of a well-developed lady is far, far better than one of some bloody army bloke that sent tens of thousands of soldier to a pointless death.

8. Wize

Quick, slap a fig leaf on Michelangelo's David

Have they had any complaints about it or are they trying to tell us what we should be offended by?

1. ArmanX

Have you seen that statue?

Nothing big about THAT part of it, anyway...

9. Juan Inamillion
    Coat

Well

Excessive jubliness is surely a matter of conjecture. One man's meat errr... is another man's.. oh errr... Well you see where I'm going with this.

Difficult to judge the size, given the orientation of the picture and the relative lack of comparative objects. Although the craftsmen's hands are nearby... They look fulsome but hardly excessive like, say, Kate 'Jordan' Price's.

Maybe they could rename the town 'Norksville-en-Ferrain', a place of jubtastic importance?

I think I'll have a lie down...

10. Ginolard
    Joke

Obligatory The Office reference....

French statues should not be punished for having big boobs. If anything they should be rewarded.

11. disgruntled yank

odd

Back in the 1960s, it seems to me, the standard-issue Marianne was based on Brigitte Bardot.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Pint

Keep up at the back!

It was La Deneuve for a good long while once Bardot went out of fashion. One could object to Laetitia Casta on the grounds that she ain't French but the French have rarely nationality get in the way of holding beauty to their bosom.

12. Equitas
    Paris Hilton

Surely .................

it's another case of jealous female employees at the Hotel de Ville. Laetitia Casta is certainly not undersized in that department, but who wants to look at something very ordinary? Surely the attraction was in the divergence of the original statute from the norm as far as breast size was concerned? And surely that's also the attraction of Keira Knightley -- no-one imagines most women are breastless, but in looking at her there's always a comparison being made with other, more normal, women; her chest is very attractive, but not typical. The mayor's crazy.

Paris -- because she knows that those who are different from the norm attract attention.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Lae-TIT-ia

nudge nudge wink wink - snigger

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bargain Price Statues

only 900 euros for a replacement, surely that's a typo?!? Our local council spent £250,000 on 1 statue that is only 6ft high and is supposed to represent a miner (without the pick, miners hat or anything else connected to mining) but looks remarkably like the sculptor.

This topic is closed for new posts.