Supercomputer maker Silicon Graphics Inc (SGI) has sold two of its shared memory Altix UV systems to the UK's Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) nuke lab and an Altix ICE 8400 cluster to the Korean Air Force. The company is also making processing capacity on its Cyclone HPC cloud service available to customers in Japan who have …
I respect that South Korea is rich but nevertheless, long range weather forecasting seems out of character. And why by the military ?
If you're running an army, navy or airforce, knowing what the weather is likely to be (pouring rain, high winds, fog etc) tends to be rather useful...
You statement is of course true Graham. But this is for long range forcasting, which is normally the job of a government agency so that all arms of government benefit.
Our beloved Met Office is an exemplar, it started as a part of the RAF. The wider value was recognized and it was hived off, but for many years temperatures were reported as read on the Air Ministry Roof. And that was before long range forecasting was in any way possible, and I am not sure that it is.
What is point, title? What is point?
Tsukuba, not Tsubuka Shirley?
- Asteroid's SHOCK DINO KILLING SPREE just bad luck - boffins
- Just TWO climate committee MPs contradict IPCC: The two with SCIENCE degrees
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad