back to article Securing the virtual desktop

Securing the endpoint has always been a headache for IT administrators. The less managed those endpoints are, the worse the headache is. In a virtualised desktop environment, where those operating systems and applications are more managed, does the problem go away? Ostensibly, security is less of a problem in a virtual desktop …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Happy

A little birdy told me

...that at least some classified military environments in the States use non-persistent (stateless?) virtual desktops.

As painful as it is to mention given the poor state of development, regrettable implementation and generally disdained sponsor - ChromeOS, at least at some point aimed for a similar non-persistent OS albeit without virtualization (instead using a verified boot process).

Not sure about the rest of the world, but I have always been a big fan of this approach - however it is accomplished.

Silver badge
Flame

Of course

If you had a proper multi-user, multi-access OS with proper security deployed, you could get away from this whole 'personal real/virtual' machine and software deployment model with all of the associated security problems that is blighting us.

Oh, how 20th century of me to bring up diskless shared image and thin client access UNIX systems that were being done in the 1980s and 1990s. It was not without fault, but was far better than using a crowbar to squeeze multiple virtual systems onto a single piece of hardware, with all of the associated duplication and waste that this entails.

One of my mantras has been "There is no place for a personal computer in Business" for a long time, and I believe that it is as true now as it has ever been.

It really makes me want to go back in time an nuke Redmond even more.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums