back to article 4G: What does the auction mean for the incumbents?

The UK's 4G auctions won't shake up the country's mobile industry, but there's enough there to annoy the incumbents equally - and perhaps make space for a local player or two. Ofcom's consultation is clear that the ideal number of network operators, which it now calls "national wholesalers", is four. The regulator admits it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

more fun

According to the nice chap on channel 4 news last night, none of this will be installed and available to customers until 2014, some years after the traditionally tardy (in mobile telecoms at least) US, and almost all of Europe including places like Albania.

Good to see the market taking such an active role investing in infrastructure eh ?

Clue to operators, if you want punters to use your networks, perhaps realistic tariffs, rather than a "squeeze them 'til the pips squeak" approach might actually y'know yield wider take up and some return on that investment........Then again this is another auction free for all, just like 3G was, and the operators went completely bonkers with their bids back then, garanteeing stupidly high tariffs, slow take up and no chance of any return on 3G investment for many years, we couldn't possibly be about to see the same again ?.

Don't be daft

The operators don't want people to *use* the networks, they don't have enough bandwidth for that. They just want you to *pay* for something they can't deliver and then tell you that you're using it "unfairly" if you try to use what you've paid for.

Cynical?

What makes you say that?

In an unrelated incident, I bought a 500Gb hard drive the other week, but the manufacturer came and took it off me when I put over 100Gb of data on it because I breached their "fair usage" policy.

Hmm

I think someone said this on another thread but surely '4 slots, 4 bidders' is a recipe for 4 bids of 1 quid each?

Hmmm

Perhaps four of us on these boards should all bid £2...

HMB

Things Moving So Quickly

It's so exciting to see LTE and 4G networks moving so quickly! If things keep going at this giddy pace we'll be sure to have high speed, low latency, high capacity Internet over the mobile networks in time for 2020!! We could be the first country to deploy 4G networks at that rate! How crazy and cutting edge is that?

This rapid movement towards a more evolved information infrastructure can only serve to strengthen the economy and help get things moving again. Who know's what we can do with this! It's also so good to see swift action to help protect against the digital divide.

I'm going to have to sit down now and breathe slowly for a bit, this pace of technological innovation, sped up so much by government offices like Ofcom, is making me dizzy!!

Silver badge
Flame

This auction as it stands

Shows no thought at all. Ofcom deserved to be sacked.

A huge waste for 10 years of a unique National Resource.

Coat

I wonder...

When Three roll out their 4G network, will they rename themselves "Four"?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums