Feeds

back to article Interwebs stunned by musical atrocity

I'd really like to thank the Beeb this afternoon for flagging up Rebecca Black's Friday, which has become a bit of a hit down at iTunes despite provoking the desire to tear your ears off with pliers. "Fun, loving, 13 year old" Rebecca has proved that you can sell just about anything if you get a net buzz going, even if that buzz …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Dead Vulture

Quality Control

You could have had some consideration for your readers (and a more curmudgeonly lot you'd be hard-pressed to find) and just, y'know, kept it to your damned selves!

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Quality Control

Listen, the BBC inflicted it on me, so why shouldn't you lot suffer too?

Bronze badge
Coat

Thank Ghod...

...we here in the Colonies don't have the Beeb "helping" us in that way.

(We just have to deal with that infinite oxymoron, Fox News.)

Pint

"the BBC inflicted it on me, "

I don't watch TV and listen to Radio 4 so I nearly missed it completely.

So close but not close enough, dammit.

Will beer stop me ears bleeding?

Silver badge

Because

more attention and free publicity is given to something which is best ignored.

Unhappy

No Comment

Words...dont even....what????

"Yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday, tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes after!"

Lyrical Genius!

(hmm although, come to think about it - it's not too far from the Jackson 5s ABC)

Scuse me, I need to go wash my ears with bleech.

Pint

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

There ain't no such thing as mind bleach.

Anyone know a cheap lobotomist?

Maybe not, but...

There is always unicorn chaser.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/unicorn-chaser.html

Coat

"Yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday, tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes after!"

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings, is that you?!

Silver badge
Pint

Err...

Diamond White?

Coffee/keyboard

Wow

All my teeth have fallen out as a result it listening to that song.

<--- keyboard vomit

Thumb Down

Autotune needs to be retired

Finally a singer with worse Autotune excesses than that queen of American pop, Ke$ha, combined with a lyrical ability that makes the Soulja Boy rapper look like the Beatles!

min

...apparently a title is required...

i heard this thing for the first time last wednesday. it was painful, ruinous, nauseating stuff.. quite terrible.

but then again, it taught me what order the days of the week go in. good, solid educational stuff from this thirteen year old prat.

Bo selecta

Personally, I learnt the days of the week from Craig David...

Gold badge
Unhappy

Spelling error.

"...which has become a bit of a hit down at iTunes..."

You seem to have dropped an "s" in there somewhere.....

One note wonder

Even Lewis can't claim that putting this on the air is not harmful radiation!

I'm impressed that they wrote a "tune" with a single note held over multiple bars, which is bad enough, but then ran her "voice" through an autotuner! She couldn't even hold one note?

Thumb Up

'This video is not available in your country.'

First time I've ever been glad to see that!

Unhappy

@'This video is not available in your country.'

I really wish the same was true for Norway :(

Silver badge
Grenade

Bless her.

Sounds like she has a bit of a cold.

Take one of these, and go for a lie down.

'Orrible

Stomach-churning stuff, indeed! Better than syrup-of-figs (old English remedy) for loosening all the dodgy intestinal bits.

Anonymous Coward

and now the wikipedia entry

There's been resistance on the grounds that she/the rendition just weren't "notable" though I suspect a few editors thought it was just plain crap idea to put her in the encyclopaedia-anyone-can-etc .

That a certain high-waisted musical impressario thinks it is in anyway a good thing (the rendition not they wikipedia artticle) should be a warning shot across society's bows.

Bronze badge

Does being famous for fifteen minutes qualify you for Wikipedia?

Anyway if the condition of entry is to be "not able", then......

I still haven't heard this song. I agree that it isn't dignified for adults to sneer at children.

The radio version of [Dead Ringers] once had a sketch that imagined Anne Robinson from the [Weakest Link] game show judging the pictures her children had drawn that day at primary school and dismissing "The Weakest Child" from the family. The message was that it's a horrible thing to do.

Then again, many years ago, possibly on the [Red Dwarf] writers' radio show [Son of Cliché], there was a sketch of an archaeologist viciously verbally ripping apart cave paintings, that at the time I thought I was brilliant. "This is cack. This is worse than that Egyptian cack..."

Silver badge
Thumb Down

EEEEWwwwwww

"I was going through so much pain in my life and considered ending it all, but then I heard this song."

Are you sure that wasn't a typo? Perhaps they meant:

"I was going through so much pain in my life and considered ending it all, WHEN I heard this song."

Anonymous Coward

Another reason to rejoice at my separation...

...is that I no longer share a home with a teenager who will insist on playing crap like this on endless loop at high volume.

This shit would give Bieber a toothache.

Okay, I know I'm sounding a little like my Dad here, but the youth of today really don't seem to understand decent music; it's just whatever is cynically pushed at them as the next big thing, and they pass it on and play it as if it had any kind of merit...

I despair, really I do...

Silver badge

it's not all bad out there

Was in a pub on Sat night - band playing - lots of good rock, drummer did an amazing solo.

Lead guitar was about 18, drummer was 13. Awesome.

None of this pansy flapping shite in my local let me tell you. Until the band went off, and the yoof got hold of the juke box. Had to drink heavily from that point onwards.

Thing is...

Every generation says that, but the fact of the matter is, we're all prone to rose tinting our youth. My mum often bangs on about songs from her day having good lyrics. I pointed out Toots & The Maytals "Bam Bam". Conversation over.

I know for a fact that, in among all the screw-faced Jungle I listened to as a teen, was more than a few cheesily bad songs.

Thumb Up

doubleplus

it really isn't all that bad out there, it just seems that any music that ever required any kind of talent (or a real musical instrument - no autotune doesnt count) is being sidelined.

it's not really, it's just that the talentless, vapid tools simon cowell keeps hiring make more noise and get more coverage - learn not to listen and you will hear the real and talented bands out there whose bond is not about money but about love for what they do. Not just talking about rock, the same is true for most if not all genres. pubs are generally the best place to find these people.

If you too want quality music and have an innate distrust for the words "protools" and "MIDI" then follow my 3 easy steps for musical nirvana:

1. don't watch x-factor

a. avoid tv in general (optional but recommended)

2. listen to internet radio

3. go to small venues for gigs often

a. have a pint (optional but recommended)

follow these simple rules and a musically rich life shall be yours!

is anybody running a rage-against-the-machine-for-christmas-number-one this year?

Unhappy

This is a problem with 99c a tune

It is not hard at all to spend the money on totally rubbish. Perhaps iTunes really has a damaging effect on the quality of the music in general.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

I liked it.

In the same way that I like having nails driven through my hands, feet, knees and testicles.

Anonymous Coward

Catchy

but then again, so was the plague.

Bronze badge

I haven't heard it.

But I'm quite worried about the new series of [Russell Howard's Good News], on BBC Three.

Anonymous Coward

The words.....

..."Vogon" and "poetry" spring to mind for some reason!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

But...

...even Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings' dead duck poem is a lyrical masterpiece compared to this!

Stop

Enough Already

Thankfully I'm tone deaf, but even then it was starting to get to me....I'm gonna go lie down and listen to the hamster dance

Grenade

Ouch.

I managed to put up with it for 49 seconds before I suffered a spontaneous epistaxis. Delightful.

Silver badge

Okay people

Time to admit the track you paused in order to listen to Becca. Consider it a spot test of your of musical taste. And no cheating either. My shuffle had reached Missy Higgins: This is how it goes.

WTF?

Death metal

Saw this on FB this morning and didn't know what it was parodying, as until about 10mins ago I hadn't suffered the indignity of hearing the 'original' - and I wish I still hadn't.

That said, I quite like the parody http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi00ykRg_5c

Enjoy!

Grenade

Link should only have been posted...

...with a "Not Safe For Anywhere" warning.

Grenade

I managed...

...58 seconds. I deserve a bloody medal.

<~~ because even that would be more tuneful.

Thumb Up

I am pleased to announce...

...that not all teenagers are like this:

"...is that I no longer share a home with a teenager who will insist on playing crap like this on endless loop at high volume."

My teenage daughter heard this and promptly denounced it as total crap.

Good girl.

Stop

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Nothing new hear (sic) birdy song, no one quite like grandma, grandad etc.

Move along please

Stop

Sod the aweful song

What the hell is a "13 year old girl" doing riding in the back of a convertible with her "friends", tarted up like a cheap whore with designs on spending her weekend "partying?"

Bronze badge
Alert

Re: sod the aweful [sic] song

Also the association with some mid-30's guy in his flashy car and huge watch is a bit worrying...

min

RE: sod the awful song.

is the older geezer with watch and terrible rap not Usher's dad?

WTF?

Poor old autotuner . . .

Bet it had to go and have a long cool down after processing this one

Anonymous Coward

real life rating

When smartphones with object recognition get integrated into glasses some bright spark will create software for it that will enable you to comment on and "thumb up" or "thumb down" real world objects - such as places, buildings and people.

Watching tv and looking at famous people/places/events will never be the same with those glasses. Can't wait to to read the comments!

Unhappy

I feel ill

And it's only Monday.. Monday, Monday, yesterday was Sunday Sunday, tommorrow only Tuesday Tuesday then comes the next day...

As they say in the states... I need to BARF.

This is not a title

My favorite quote!

"'Forget Bieber fever, I have the Black Plague"

Stop

Youtube

I think a lot of this song has taken inspiration from Youtube spoof videos.

The lyrics do follow the form of quite a lot of the parodies that are around, same aswell for the type of video.

What surprises/confuses me is that she is friends with people who can drive and at one point drives off in a car. She is 13. Also a lot of this seems to go around about "partying" on the weekend.

Partying at the age of 13 is quite a lot different...

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: Youtube

Mmm, jelly! :-D

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.