back to article Aus gamers set to get adult rating?

The Tasmanian Government is backing a federal government plan to introduce an R18+ classification scheme for computer games. While an R18+ category currently applies to other forms of entertainment, such as films and magazines, Australia is unique in not having introduced it to the gaming sector. An R18+ classification exists …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

R18 is good

As long as they prosecute all who sell to under age teens, it's fine.

Bronze badge

Agree

I fully support the R rating for games. I hate the idea of potentially missing out of a game because some bureaucrat says it's too naughty for me as an adult.

But more needs to be done to prevent kids buying/renting such things. This applies not just to games, but to DVDs, music and magazines and cinemas. I find it appalling that some people working in such places either don't care or don't know what the rules are, and just take the money and let it happen.

Cut out the middle man

Prosecute under age teens, then they'll get the hint.

Anonymous Coward

but...

The games!!!!!! They are the evil! </daily fail>

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Too bad it's not going to happen.

Everyone in Government in power to change this, is in cahoots with each other.

Let's just say, I'm holding my breath on GovCo bringing in a workable R18 category for games, like I'm holding my breath for the next Duke Nukem. And I don't care who's promised what.

Just don't complain about my mention of torrents and other P2P networks when all our other options are taken away. And yes, they're looking at filtering specifically for otherwise Refused Classification items, as well as pysical imports, saying if you can't buy it here, why should you be able to get it elsewhere.

Good luck with policing that, Australia is not spelt C.h.i.n.a. yet.

Silver badge
Joke

I'm wondering

Was this sudden urge to have an adult rating related to the govt. pondering the effects of telling the citizens that they couldn't have Duke Nukem forever when it's finally relaesed?

Anonymous Coward

Duke Nukem Forever,

A game with an adult rating that's so juvenile it should only appeal to pre teens.

As if the media needed more help stereotyping gamers.

Silver badge
FAIL

Huh? Or, right.

I was momentarily confused by this sentence:

"We need to ensure the guidelines are properly worded, so appropriate games can be played by adults, while still excluding those games which depict high-level sex and violence."

Then I remembered, this is a country that still has state censorship for movies too. Oh dear.

WTF is with South Australian AG's

The last one Michael Atkinson basically said over my dead body to R18 game classifications.

And the new one:

"South Australian Attorney-General John Rau has also flagged support for an R18+ rating on the condition the current MA15 classification is abolished."

I assume he wants to see all current and future MA15 games be boosted to R18.

What do they put in the water over there that makes them think games must be treated differently to television or feature films.

Stop

What is embarrassing...

is the Australian Nanny State.

What is wrong with taking charge of your own filtering? I used to use dansguardian but now use opendns as I don't like leaving pc's running when I'm not there.

I simply ban adult material and facebook at the router level and no-one can circumvent.

Similarly thinking that introducing an R rating on videogames will stop kids from playing them is complete nonsense.

I've caught my 11 year old playing my 18 games many times and he gets punished - never learns mind but how and ever. Leave the parents to mind their kids. Its the only solution without going all George Orwell on us...

The right move but ....

This is similiar to all those public smoking bans - why ban smoking on a public level but still allow importing of tabacoo products?

What really needs to happens is that, as a parent or legal guardian, one has the right to take on the outlet, legally, for selling content to minors. Obviously there will still be loop holes around it but at the end of the day parents also need to be more pro-active.

..... saw the other day a 6 year old playing COD on his dad's computer and having God of War and Heavenly Sword on the PS. If the parent feel it is right and don't see anything wrong with it then so be it, but for the parents that are concerned of inappropriate content and the message it echoes, there is no legal stand point for them and the outlets really could not give a damn on who they sell their game. A sell is a sell for them.

FAIL

Grrr

It's dumb parents like the one above that screw me out of 18+ rated games. So when little Timmy gets it into his head to carve up his neighbours rabbit with a knife and say he's playing Heavenly Sword (Christ knows what he'll make of the sex mini games in God of War), the parent will be the first to say "Ban this child corrupting filth" instead of taking some fricking responsibility.

Neither child nor parent will be screwed as a result of any action though - it'll be the adult gamer instead. =/

Silver badge
Alert

Never....

Underestimate the fundies !!!

scapegoat

It's interesting, I think, that prior to his retirement Michael Atkinson was the only State Attorney general oppossing the 18+ rating for video games, or so we were told.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/attorney-general-to-veto-r-rating-for-games/story-e6frfro0-1111115654451

So the rating couldn't be changed because HE opposed it. And now we have a new South Australian Attorney General who, apparantly, supports an R18+ rating.

http://kotaku.com/#!5501880/new-south-australian-attorney-general-supports-adult-game-ratings

I say apparantly because Atkinson retired in March 2010, we get a new SA AG who supports and R18+ rating, yet at the April 2010 AG meeting did we get an R18+ rating agreed to? Did we bollocks!

http://www.cnet.com.au/decision-on-r18-games-delayed-till-2011-339307909.htm

I'll believe it when I see it, meanwhile illegal importing of banned games continues unabated!

Happy

Why don't we

Just swaddle our children like we used to and when they reach the age of majority, drop them in the river.

That way they can die without sin and all.

Oh, wait; I know; we can't do that because then we couldn't sell them things and life as we know it would go away.

(Oh come on, Australia is funny. You have to laugh or you will fall prey to the demon of despair.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums