Feeds

back to article Apple iMovie 1.2

I’ve been having a lot of fun playing with Apple's new GarageBand app, but it’s the updated iMovie that will really benefit from the new camera and improved graphics power of the iPad 2. You can still run iMovie 1.2 on an iPhone or iPod Touch and gain minor improvements such as the new project themes and sound effects. It’s also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Imagine if Apple was Chrysler, Ford or GM selling new cars ...

they would try to cripple all the previous years models so every one is forced to buy the latest model.

This is built-in redundancy it's more like bend over and I'll do you again.

Why is Apple trying to promote sales of things they don't even have in stock nor likely to meet existing demand for months?

Corporate crooks.

Stop

If Apple were...

...then maybe Ford, GM and Chrysler wouldn't be in the shit their in.

More importantly, you need to put your tin foil hat away, and quit with the Apple-based conspiracy theories. You don't like Apple. We get it. Do you really have to come up with some spurious comment on every single sodding Apple story?

Crawl back under your /. rock.

Paris Hilton

Crippled?

Ummmm...how have they crippled last year's model? "New software won't install on older machine" - hardly a revelation in the IT industry.

Silver badge
Linux

It's rude to not share your drugs.

Of course its a "new revelation" that new software won't install on older machines.

Although "older machines" in this case a LAST YEARS MACHINES.

Talk about swimming in the cool-aid. This would be like Snow Leopard or iLife 09 being uninstallable on my first generation nvidia based Mini or one of the i945 based ones.

Happy

Mines still working fine.

My ford Cortina isn't though so maybe you're right Apple could teach the world a few tricks in reliability.

Grenade

last years machines

The 3GS is near 2 years old. It still got the 4.3 update... the 3G, well in excess of 2 years old, got multiple updates in the latter half of 2010. Show me ANY phone from ANY other manufacturer that after 2 years gets updates. show me any android that got an update after just 14 months for that matter.

Go crawl back under your rock troll. NO other phone manufacturer has apples record for back hardware support with new features. they're the shining example of how it shoudl be done thus far.

Anonymous Coward

Yawn

We get it, you have a problem with logic but do you have to be so brazen about your stupidity.

Anonymous Coward

Movie size or quality?

What you didn't mention was the size and quality of the video, or whether it can handle video from other types.

I use imove on a quad core mac pro with 12gb RAM and an ATI 4890; even it toils when handling a 2hr movie done in HD (720, not even 1080). Does it really need to be that slow? Does it always need to refresh thumbnails, or scan iphoto library every start up? It's awful.

Which makes me think the IOS version is only suited to < 5 mins of device-shot or low-res movies. And can it only pick stuff up from itunes? And assuming, export it back there? Seems a bit of a clunky way to do things, especially when all your movies are in iphoto.

Unhappy

RTFM.

It only trolls thumbnails when it detects new video files, and only scans those new files for thumbnails. It looks in the iPhoto library because there is video in there too.

2hr movies are BIG, and the IO for handling that is typically done on high performance arrays, not local HDDs. Its even worse if you're not working in a RAW mode, where the CPU/GPU is decoding, editing, and recoding the data on the fly.

If you were using iMovie right, or on the right hardware for the load, you would not be having these issues. If you're doing 2 hour features, you're already doing it wrong, iMovie is designed for shorts, not features (go buy FimMaker Pro).

iMovie on iPad is great for 10-25 minute clips. it;s not doing advanced editing oreffects, just simlpe audio balancing, transitions, and clipping. Even the iPhone 4 handles it just fine. My wife's 2 year old Macbook (and for that matter mom's 4 year old one) handles Hd editing in clips under 20-30 minutes just fine on laptop hard drives (clunky, but I/O, not CPU limited).

Bronze badge
WTF?

Works on Iphone 3GS? Yes/No?

It's showing up on the aPple app store (via my 3GS), but the 'requirements' mention Iphone 4.

Very confusing.

TIA

Can you start editing on the iPad....

... and them finish off using iMovie on the Mac?

i.e are the project files interchangeable?

yes

in both directions.

Thumb Up

Upsides, downsides...

"The downside: you can't sync your iPad with iTunes until you ditch iMovie."

That's the upside, no? Hateful piece of overblown software.

This topic is closed for new posts.