Feeds

back to article HP promises App Store and Microsoft love in webOS world

Hewlett-Packard has unveiled an imaginative cloud strategy apparently founded on the imaginative powers of its marketing people. The computing and services company said on Monday that it plans an Amazon-like public cloud and Apple-like app store that serves apps to consumers and business users on smart devices. HP CEO Leo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Paris Hilton

Only need to wait until June..

for the iPad killer!

Paris - Because she promises big things too.

Alert

Hoorah!

As above

FAIL

loadrunner anyone

Maybe they would like to start from loadrunner and stop charging $10K per license per user per year! if they want to be "Open"

Bronze badge
Troll

Shock revelation!

"The technology we will be using for cloud infrastructure is going to be based on a certain number of technologies."

So they're basing their technology on a number of technologies?

Why, who'd have guessed!

Joke

Smart devices

And HP are a tautology, they don't go together. How about smart devices and dumb marketing, or dumb marketing and even dumber devices, the possibilities are endless.

Thumb Down

HP Marketing

While I worked in HP there was a standing joke - HP markets sushi as "cold dead fish - but it's fresh"

HP has some great technologies - and surprisingly, some great ideas about how they might get used. Unfortunately Labs lost their way when Dick Lampman was forced out (some imagination and lots of real achievement) and the clown, otherwise known as Prith Banerjee was appointed in his place (and demoted from board level).

I don't understand why HP keep their labs on - they fail to pay any attention to their innovations, and they appoint idiots to run the work......

Anonymous Coward

Bite of the Apple?

I am assuming that HP's strategy with WebOS is to drive hardware sales, a la Apple.

To keep it attractive, HP needs to constantly innovate and develop an ecosphere, a la Apple.

If the consumer still wants to run Windows on the hardware in preference to WebOS then that's fine too, a la Apple.

I wonder where HP's strategists get their ideas these days?!

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Er...

Don't you mean "oxymoron"?

WTF?

WebOS on a printer ?

Is he nuts or what! The only thing to expect from a printer is to print documents. It's the only device left for this task.

Silver badge
Linux

re: WebOS on a printer ?

you obviously have not been reading your required texts recently.

It's for the cloud silly. Everything is for the cloud.

HP is living in Cloud-cuckoo land IMHO.

FAIL

WebOS DOA

Hmmm, this is going to be as successful as Zune. WebOS is more or less DOA as far as I can tell. No developer ecosystem and competition is just to far ahead. What exactly does WebOS offer that Andriod/Apple/Rim can't?

What about old Palm applications?

Anyone know if Palm applications will still run on WebOS? I was looking at a Pre for a while because I could still sync it with Palm Desktop running on my PC. If it does this then I'm in and will switch off all the rest of the crap!

I might be a dinosaur, but I don't actually want everything on one device (be that smartphone, tablet or whatever) - I have been using Palm handhelds for about 10 years and really only want something that does what my current Tungsten E does - keep my useful data to hand and sync with my PC. I am prepared to accept that I might have to get this in a 'phone someday soon, but why do I have to sign up to on-line storage of all my appointments and address data as well? (Don't even talk about my emails - I'm sure my clients would love Google or Apple having all of those!)

Dinosaurs like me are keeping up the resale value of hoarded Palm's pretty much where they used to be (around US$200 for 'in-the-box' new) so there is some kind of market for this. I hope HP gives us some options.....

Thumb Down

Open wide...

Get ready... Microsoft is gearing-up to attempt to shove "Cloud Computing" (amongst other things) down our throats.

The reasons... CONTROL... and, DESPERATION.

Everything that Microsoft demands (user-control, lock-in, no-consumer-choice, no effective-competition, insanely-high TRIBUTE paid to Microsoft) are rapidly slipping away from the "Beast of Redmond". And, without those, Microsoft knows it's doomed (...they've never actually been able... or even remotely willing... to "compete" on a truly "level playing-field").

If you have a choice... you won't continually pay Microsoft, simply for your computer to work. I can't find anybody (consumer, or company) that wants to be a prisoner of "Software as a Service"... NOPE... NOBODY.

If you have a choice... you will choose what works, the best, for YOU (you won't simply have to accept whatever scheme, or "vision" Microsoft forces upon you... whenever THEY feel like it).

If you have a choice... You will "own" your software/computer (despite Microsoft's, decades-long, utterly-deceptive, heart's-desire... of BOGUS "licensing" claims).

If you have a -real- choice... you won't use Microsoft's (annoying, insecure, and ridiculously-overpriced) software. Huge numbers of people, businesses, and government-institutions (in our area alone) are switching (or have already switched) to "Open Office", "Firefox", (and even to "Linux"), etc... and, they couldn't be happier.

These are the reasons that Microsoft is betting-the-farm on "Cloud Computing". And, these are also the reasons that Microsoft is now, desperately, playing the "Intellectual Property" game (using front-companies... buying-up questionable "UNIX" IP... getting U.S. Patent-law changed to unquestionably-uphold Microsoft's bogus "software patents"... and pushing Microsoft's "Trustworthy Computing" at every level. Not to mention... "strategic alliance", after "strategic alliance".

They [Microsoft] are finally feeling their own demise approaching... as more, and more, consumers realize that they still do have choices, and so this is Microsoft's (hopefully last) plan of attack.

It seems to me that "Cloud Computing" is one of Microsoft's last, desperate, SECRET WEAPONS... which Microsoft hopes will turn the tide of the "...war".

Yes, Microsoft... going all the way back to young Billy Gates... really DOES view the computer-marketplace as an, all-out, "battlefield" (where -consumers-, and every other business, is the ENEMY, and "DECEPTION" is key to victory). Unfortunately, consumers (and the entire industry)... have, pretty much, been the COLLATERAL-DAMAGE.

This topic is closed for new posts.