Feeds

back to article Endeavour crawls to Kennedy launch pad

Space shuttle Endeavour this morning complete its leisurely 3.4-mile journey from Kennedy Space Center's Vehicle Assembly Building to Launch Pad 39A, ahead of its scheduled STS-134 mission launch on 19 April. The Endeavour crew. Pic: NASA NASA has provided the traditional cheery photo of the Endeavour crew, which shows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

365 days

> NASA enthuses that the spectrometer will run "24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year"

so that will be one day of downtime in the next 366 days then?

Coat

or

>>capturing data at a rate "equivalent to filling a 1 Gigabyte USB memory stick every second!"

Or filling a 120GB WD Raptor every 2 mins?

Or filing a 64GB ipod every 1:04 minutes?

Or filling a 250GB Hard Drive in the time it takes to microwave last nights pizza?

Or maybe, just maybe

What the hell is wrong with 1 Gigabyte per second?

it's like saying that a car was travelling at a speed equivalent to a cycling 100 miles in an hour

Troll

because as any fule no...

usb sticks labelled 1GB are too small to hold 1GB of data.

A side note...

Cmdr. Kelly is the husband of Gabrielle Giffords, the Arizona congresswoman who took a bullet through the brain fired by Jared Loughner in a failed assassination attempt that took 6 lives and injured another 13 on Jan. 8.

Giffords is making a remarkable recovery and is expected to be present for the launch of Endeavour.

Silver badge
Pint

Good news indeed

I will drink to that!

What are they doing with all that data?

They haven't got an 8gbit/sec downlink, have they?

Of course they have

Fibre Channel - just a *really* long fibre...

Coat

"To the CLOUD!!!"

Pressurised coat please :-D

Boffin

To the «Oort» cloud!

... to be sure

all those usb sticks

I think the plan is to fill soyuz capsules with 1 GB USB sticks, why else would they use that metric?

I wonder what kind of bandwidth the s-band antennas going up in the same shipment get?

MrT
Bronze badge
Thumb Up

@ just a *really* long fibre...

Cool - support it with a carbon monofilament/Buckminsterfullerene strap, push ISS out to geostationary orbit using the ion drive and install the space elevator - no need for shuttles to resupply, which is a good job because that's a tad further than they could reach even if they weren't retiring.

Next: NASA to replace Space Shuttle with ACC's Space Elevator. Just have to wait until Kalidasa's Temple** is connected up by BT Infinity.**

** Timescale? Well, the Temple is in a very rural area, with not many people around to upvote the local exchange, and consequently the clue is in the product name...

Silver badge
Pint

AMS is a pretty amazing project...

...that started pretty long time ago, in the mid-90s. They had flown the first prototype AMS-01 onboard STS-91 (the very Discovery just retired two days ago) in 1998 if I remember the date correctly from my friend and fellow Hungarian, Sandor Blasko, who was a developer on the power supply side of things (control application, reporting software/client etc). Though I haven't heard of him for years now ("ping Sanyi -t") I'm following the news about AMS ever since he spent almost a year down in KSC in Florida in 1998 (I'm sure he's still working on this project); FWIW just found out his old photos are still online: http://mrc.mht.bme.hu/hg5crs/KSC/ and http://mrc.mht.bme.hu/hg5crs/JSC/

Beer because it's good times...

Anonymous Coward

Re: What are they doing with all that data?

They didn't say they were storing it all, just that they were capturing it at 1GB/s - I'm guessing 90% or more of it will be junk and thrown away as soon as it is captured.

Silver badge

DNA

Having just read elsewhere that a sperm stores the equivalent of 37.5MB of data in its DNA, which comes to about 1.5TB of data per ejaculation. So that's about 21000 data bursts per year.

This topic is closed for new posts.