back to article Mole points to April iOS 5.0 outing

Apple may have announced the release of iOS 4.3 will take place this coming Friday, 11 March, but within weeks it will show off iOS 5.0, it has been claimed. Early April will see the Mac maker take the wraps off the new version of the operating system, German-language fansite MacHead says. It cites an unnamed source it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

SMS Tweak ?

How about SMS delivery notification ? Will Apple finally add that to iOS ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

3g

Great...I look forward to them not testing it on the iPhone 3G again, so they have to come up with an updated OS a few weeks later.

1. Silver

Re: 3g

... and it still will be dog slow and you'll have to roll back to 3.x to make it usable.

In all seriousness, I'm pretty confident that this won't be offered to 3G users. That phone will be nearly three years old by then (it was launched June 2008) and Apple will want to encourage you to buy a new device.

(which I have no problem in them or anyone else doing, just so long as it's merely "encourage" and not "force")

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep

4.3 isn't being rolled out to iPhone 3Gs so I think we can safely say iOS5 will be a no no too.

1. Richard 116

Are you sure?

I've read to the contrary.

1. Richard 116

Like here

http://www.apple.com/ios/

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Classic confusion

I meant "3Gs" as in "all of the iPhone 3G phones out there"

Which I guess does read like iPhone 3GS (the succesor the the iPhone 3G) which is getting the update.

1. Richard 116

Ah...

...understood. Accept my apologies.

2. Fat Jez

Re: 3G

I'd expect them to drop support for the 3G in iOS5. Based on their track record, only the new model and previous year's model (iPhone 4 in this case) have had full functionality from the new OS, the year before that (3GS) has had limited functionality improvements and support for the year before that has been dropped.

I'm basing this on them dropping support for the original iPhone in iOS4 and the 3G only having limited enhancements.

3. Paul Naylor
    Jobs Halo

Hopefully, this is a good thing

I am of the opinion that there is room in the world for both Android and iOS. Friends of mine use Android and I'm an iOS man. I know little about the former (because I've never used it) but word on the street is that the next major release of Android is going to be a biggie and I really hope that Apple take note and come back with something as good, if not better, which can only be good for both companies.

I feel that the current iOS is looking a bit dated and so hopefully v5 will be something pretty special.

4. Big_Ted
    Jobs Halo

would also like

I would also like to see a changed or even multi choice on keyboards for the iPad.

The biggest improovement to it would be arrow keys to move around in text quickly rather than the magnifying glass we have now.

Also would love native divx support built in but that is wishfull thinking......

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Timing?

Do you think the March release of iOS 4.3 has anything to do with fixing the Daylight Savings Time problems that everyone experienced in October/November?

It is nearly that time of year again...

1. JaitcH
      Happy

There never was a 'Daylight Savings' problem in ...

Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Niger, Nigeria, Peru, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Saint Helena, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Venezuela, Zambia, Zimbabwe do not observe daylight savings.

Neither do the Brazilian states of: Acre, Alagoas, Amapá, Amazonas, Bahia, Ceará, Maranhão, Pará, Paraíba, Pernambuco, Piauí, Rio Grande do Norte, Rondônia, Roraima, Sergipe, and Tocantins; in Canada the areas of Peace River Regional District including the communities of Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Hudson's Hope, Fort St. John, Taylor and Tumbler Ridge in British Columbia, in Nunavut Southampton Island including Coral Harbour, Quebec's North Shore, east of 63° West longitude,, Saskatchewan (permanent fixed daylight time) all have no daylight savings.

Since there are 196 countries in the world this means that Apple got it right for 28.06% of the world’s countries and only wrong for wrong 71.94% of the world’s countries – not too shabby, for Apple.

1. Tempest
        Happy

I'm clipping this post ...

there are so many countries without daylight saving o it, far more than I realised.

China is really screwed up. Too bright in the morning in ShangHai whilst those poor stiffs living in Yunnan out West have to stagger around in the dark for a couple of hours just so they can all get to use BeiJing time.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash...

Would be nice...

7. LPF

@Silver and at Jez

In apples defence its not becuase somethings had to be disabled on the 3g simply becuase it was not powerful enough to run it, but better that the HTC HD2 , I got that and as far as Microsoft and HTC are concerned it not longer exists.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like