Feeds

back to article Discovery poised for final homecoming

Space shuttle Discovery is set to bow out tomorrow with its final homecoming at the end of a distinguished career which began on 30 August, 1984. Discovery performs its flyaround of the International Space Station as both spacecraft orbit over the Sahara Desert. Pic: NASA TV The venerable vehicle has two landing opportunities …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Coat

Years

Discovery will have "spent a total of 365 days in space" in 39 flights

Seems a suspiciously convenient number of days...

Shirley NASA didn't plan that? mind you, no, they would have got it wrong by forgetting leap years or something...

I wonder

I wonder if that 365 days value has been corrected for relativistic time dilation?

Gold badge

Added a day

ISTR that NASA added an extra day to this flight at the last minute (officially after arrival at the ISS).

Anonymous Coward

A remarkable journey

And think how much technology has changed since her first launch.

May she have calm seas and a steady wind.

Gold badge
Unhappy

AC@13:59

"And think how much technology has changed since her first launch."

In terms of the outside world quite a lot. In terms of the Shuttle itself, not much.

NASA has spent at least a *billion* dollars on *developing* upgrades but *very* few have been retro-fitted.

It's retirement is *not* sad as it has reached (if not exceeded) its useful life, but the missed opportunities, the wrong conclusions drawn about future systems and the *disgraceful* behavior of some Senators *is*.

Happy

Discovery (and ISS)

Watched them speed across the night sky the other day, humbling.

Silver badge

Did you mean "bumbling"?

Overpriced govmt' project in the sky, where is my 2001-style space station and moonbase?

Fair winds, old friend.

Come home safe.

This topic is closed for new posts.