Feeds

back to article Sony to serve up Wimbledon in 3D

This year's Wimbledon is to be filmed in 3D for the first time, with the finals screened in HD in cinemas around the world. Sony has the gig, but it said it will be working with the BBC to capture the content, the Corporation having nabbed the venue's best camera sites for its own, 2D coverage. "High Definition 3D is... as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

Does anybody actually care?

Nuff said...

Thumb Up

Re: Does anybody actually care?

Ladies singles and Double finals...

That's all I'm gonna say ^_^

Anonymous Coward

BBC camera sites

Possibly not a problem that the BBC have already "nabbed the best camera sites" as I seem to recall reading that tennis is one of the sports which doesn't work in 3D if you use the same camera angles ... for 2D the best view is from behind centre of baseline whereas I think for 3D a diagonal corner to corner view gives a better effect.

JDX
Gold badge

re: Does anybody actually care?

Probably yes. Live sport seems one good use of 3D if it works well.

nope

"Buy a 3D TV" marketing at it's best.

They've just made us buy flat screens, now they want us to buy TVs all over again.

Nobody is interested, concentrate more on delivering good customer service.

FAIL

I really don't see the point

Unless you get funky with the camera angles, which will involve seeing less of the court and the game, as AC 15:56 said you need to be behind the baseline or along the edge (as the crowd are). I dont see the point in this apart from a gimmick. Otherwise there are going to be PLENTY of sweeping camera shots past the players and the net etc and they will be putting the ball replays of was it or wasnt it in, shots in 3D. Rubbish...

JDX
Gold badge

Gimmick, yes, so what?

You can see Tennis well in black and white if the ball colour is appropriate... but color is better. SD was fine for decades but HD is better. Of course 3D is a gimmick but television is a gimmick in the first place.

This topic is closed for new posts.