Feeds

back to article NEC goes out on a limb with arm-tap gadget control

NEC has taken Nintendo's Wii Remote to its logical conclusion and announced that it is developing device controls you wear on your wrist. Each watch-like gadget comprises an accelerometer for motion sensing, plus sensors that register touches to the arm. The sensors divide the arm into four zones, NEC said: the upper, middle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Dialing a phone by gestures?

So could I put my work as 'macarena' and the girl as 'The hustle'? I can see it already, someone doing the Chicken dance to call a taxi.

Coat

Meh..

I hope this gadget is robust enough to actually wear and doesn't break like my self-winding watch did. I overwound it while I was watching Baywatch.

Silver badge

Um..kinect

Is there a Market for this with next gen UI tools like kinect?

Alert

Or....

Or you can just put big gel-soft-type buttons on the wristband.... I wonder how this setup would react during jumping jacks, since it seems to be pitched as a "while exercising" device that can detect hand claps.....

Coat

Talking Heads

Then we'll all look like David Byrne in the Once In A Lifetime video. Only stupider.

Silver badge
Unhappy

I wonder what applications DARPA will have in mind for US clapping soldiers?

So I guess we can see clapping, arm waving soldiers in the future as they direct their heavy guns or order in a drone to knock off some innocent.

Different, anyway.

Thumb Down

Which genius thought that one up...

"and mobile phones that may be operated remotely while stored in a bag,"

And what purpose does that have?

Hello!? Can you hear me?! Sorry, let me just get the phone out my bag so i can hear you...

Kd
Flame

Because

You have never heard of, use, or own a headset, wired, or otherwise...

Or do you use a dick to phone?

g e
Silver badge
Joke

Forget Rock Band...

Arm Band, anyone???

>:oD

This topic is closed for new posts.