back to article Cloudy iTunes rumors juiced by music mogul talks

Apple is laying the groundwork for its long-awaited cloudy iTunes service, busily negotiating with music-industry decision-makers about allowing multiple downloads of their creative content, according to a report citing people with knowledge of the company's plans. Bloomberg reports that Apple is in talks with Universal, Sony …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Would you trust a cloud provider with your balls?

I don't let strangers keep hold of my vital personal data for the exact same reason I don't let them keep hold of my vital personal organs. I don't have the necessary degree of trust in them, with justification, since their interests in the matter differ by 180 degrees from mine. Would you feel you were in a reasonable position to negotiate a change in terms or charges with someone who had your balls in their hand?

Looking forward to multiple bankruptcies sometime in the near future when some big cloud provider fails catastrophically and a bunch of firms who've keenly outsourced everything find out that "in the cloud" is not a continuity/disaster recovery policy.

2. henrydddd
    Linux

Dream come true

Using a cloud based environment for the new apple Iwhatever is a software company's and the entertainment industry's dream come true. No more pirated movies or songs as they will totally control what you have on your machine. Also, jailbreaking will be a thing of the past. Apple will control everything that you can do with your produce (for a fee of course). When Apple decides that your model is obsolete, you will be cut off and all that you will have is a brick. Microsoft has proposed this idea for years to stop illegal copies of Windows and shut down obsolete computers and Windows products (for the user's protection). Welcome to the world where two companies will totally control the computer industry

3. EWI
    Dead Vulture

Not the whole story

"Services such as those, however, will struggle to survive at all after June 30, when Apple begins to enforce its 30 per cent cut of any subscription-based revenue pulled in by content-delivering apps sold through the iOS App Store."

This just isn't true, and I wonder at the Reg for reporting it as such. Apple have simply told the publishers that a subscription service available through other means must be *also* be available in the app (nobody's forcing users), for which Apple take their usual cut for providing the platform. The crux of the publisher's real problem seems to be that they're no longer able to harvest user details for junk marketers:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/03/04/paypal-customer

1. Someone Else Silver badge

The real crux...

"The crux of the publisher's real problem seems to be that they're no longer able to harvest user details for junk marketers [...]".

No, that privilege shall be reserved for Apple, I wot.

4. Arctic fox
    Happy

What are they going to call it?

".........busily negotiating with music-industry decision-makers about allowing multiple downloads of their creative content............."

" iSpotify " perhaps?

1. D@v3

Spotify

I have been wondering what's going to happen to the Spotify App for a while now.

What with the ' subscriptions from inside App's ' thing, currently, their App takes you to their website where you pay the standard subscription to sign up. Are they going to have to put their prices up, or are the going to call it a day on the iPhone.

I wonder.....

On a separate note, all this 'cloud on your phone ' business is all well and good, if you always have a good enough network connection to be able to access what ever you want, at a reasonable speed (ie, instantly). That's partly why i never stumped up the subscription to get spotify on the iPhone, as a lot of the time, when i want to listen to music, I'm out of strong signal areas, (on the tube etc..) added to the fact that the iPhone itself is a 16/32gb iPod.

Also, if you are being expected to essentially re-download everything, every time you want it, you're going to eat through your data allowance pretty quick....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like