back to article Dixons prices up Motorola Android 3.0 tablet

Dixons has removed pricing and pre-order information from the Motorola Xoom page on its PC World website. Earlier today, the retailer said on the page that it would charge £450 for the 10.1in Android tablet, and invited interested punters to "pre-order today". Motorola Xoom at Dixons Then... Within hours, the offer had been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Spectacularly Cheap?

"If you think £450 is spectacularly cheap for a large tablet"

If you think £450 is spectacularly cheap for a large tablet then you have too much spare cash and should give it all to me :)

Gold badge

How to estimate the price

If you want to know the real price find a US price in dollars and replace the $ with £.

Stop

Software update

Flash will be available when Motorola releases a software update - so, based on their Android phones that will be never then.

Re If you think £450 is spectacularly cheap

Because it's WiFi only? Does adding 3G capability really add more than a few pounds to the cost.?

Yes it does

You do understand that Wifi and 3G are different technologies don't you?

Adding 3G will require adding a 3G chipset and all the necessary gubbins like somewhere to put the SIM, a reasonable amount of additional wiring and a suitable antenna.

On top of that there's the additional development costs and the additional approvals.

Being able to buy a chipset for a few pounds does not mean it only costs a few pounds to add it to your device, not by a long way.

WTF?

Rain -> Change -> Fair.

According to Motorola's page this thing has proximity / ambient light sensors and a gyroscope (natch). Apparently it also has a barometer.

I can't decide if that is spectacularly useless, utterly cool, or both.

Unhappy

Tablet Tabulation Tragedy...

What happened to the promised ever updating tabulation of tablet technology?

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Tablet Tabulation Tragedy...

When some new ones actually become available to buy we will update.

Thumb Up

Can't Wait

Got the money ready and waiting, any 10.1" tablet is going to be better than either iPad I or iPad 2

Anonymous Coward

If you think £450 is spectacularly cheap

I don't.

It's 800 USD in the states, isn't it?

About 494GP, and I don't think that spoken-of price is for anything left out.

Archos 101?

Tony

Do you mean the likes of the Archos 101, which you have actually reviewed, and yet doesn't appear on your tablet tabulation..?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums