back to article Council busts breast milk ice cream parlour

A Covent Garden designer ice cream parlour has earned itself a bust from Westminster council for punting potentially life-threatening breast milk ice cream. Municipal operatives relieved Icecreamists of its Baby Gaga blend of jub juice, vanilla pods and lemon zest, the Evening Standard reports. Brian Connell, Westminster's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Thomas 18
    Grenade

Hepatitis

I'm pretty sure you can test a person for any of those (A/B/C). Maybe you could have phoned them up and asked how/if they had screened the donor before sending in the stormtroopers.

(the article indicates they screen but stormtrooper command wouldn't know that).

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      FAIL

Its actually a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Hep A/B/C are all real threats. Add on to this other drugs that could be in the system.

You'd also have to have mandatory drug testing and random drug testing of the potential donors.

Can you imagine a 'crack flavored' ice cream?

Sorry but this is a bad idea from the get go.

1. The Alpha Klutz

Re: "Can you imagine a 'crack flavored' ice cream?"

aint nobody smoking crack on Tuesday then donating their breast milk on Wednesday.

And besides, if you could get high from breast milk, don't you think the addict would drink her own? Drugs are expensive.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Imagine that.....

Lying in bed, licking crack flavoured ice cream....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re:Hepatitis

Also, how often is every cow that gives milk screened? We all know that things can pass from livestock to humans also. Milk is pasteurised in each case.

1. Simon Millard
        Black Helicopters

Cows Milk Screening

Cow's milk is tested as part of the milking process. If there are signs of infection or blood in the milk, then it is automatically dumped.

2. Dave 15

Do we really pay our taxes for this?

I don't. Frankly if some woman wants to be 'milked' and someone wants to eat/drink it and they are both fully aware of what is what then it is NOT the governments, councils, polices or anyone elses business to intervene.

There are a myriad of hazards in and around westminster, not least the bull that spews forth from parliament and the council - they fail to control that.

I certainly don't pay taxes to have some busy body with no real job to do sticking an unwarrented nose in where it clearly isn't needed.

(Same goes for Cambridgeshire police who can't manage to stop my neighbours from parking all over footpaths in the village, or my son from being mugged, or 70+mph speeders threatening schoolchildren crossing, but CAN find a fleet of police cars and officers to ticket cars parked on a verge miles from any habitation).

1. Kubla Cant
      Thumb Down

Cambridgeshire nonsense

My favourite piece of misdirected jobsworthism in Cambridgeshire is the warning signs on the Huntingdon to March road (and, for all I know, elsewhere).

When erected, these signs said "Speed Cameras". Shortly after, some jobsworth found spare money in the public pocket and had all the signs modified to read "Safety Cameras".

3. tim-e
    Thumb Up

~slurp~

Two scoops in a waffle cone, please.

4. dotdavid
    IT Angle

Sales?

I can't imagine sales of that particular ice cream were too high. As for other sales though... the whole thing has been a very effective publicity stunt and this raid has done nothing to change that fact. Mission successful.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

As someone on Twitter posted this morning...

… people have a problem drinking human breast milk, something specifically made in nature to feed us… but have no trouble drinking the milk from a completely seperate species or, more telling, the unfertilized eggs of another?

1. Anton Ivanov
      Thumb Down

And there is a reason for that

There are only a couple of cow viruses which can jump onto human.

A few more in goats (goats can carry encephalitis and it can be transmitted to humans via milk).

Same for other animals.

At the same time nearly anything one human has can go via milk to another.

So if I am to drink milk or eat a steak, I 'd rather do so from species that as unrelated to me as possible. Better be safe than sorry. While on the subject - where do you think AIDS comes from? It is originally a monkey virus...

2. Killraven
      Happy

Eggs, with or without?

Having grown up on a farm with chickens, I prefer my eggs fertilized, you just have to make sure they're really fresh or things can get a bit gross.

1. Liam Johnson

I prefer my eggs fertilized

why? Do they tatse better?? Just curious.

>>things can get a bit gross

You can eat those too. Gross, but true.

6. Nazar
    Happy

Re: Hepatitis

+1 for "stormtroopers".

Lucky I wasn't reading this early in the morning with a nice cup of coffee hovering over my keyboard!

7. Bill Fresher

Bodily Fluids

What any bodily fluids be fit for use in food if they were shown to be free of disease?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Precisely!

Urine is perfectly harmless so long as the donor is not diseased and so long as it's fresh. Under those conditions, blood is clinically pure, too, and equally as nourishing as milk. Serve it to your friends if they want it, but don't sell it to the public.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Jobs Horns

Ahhhhh

feed them human blood....

Well technically - it's just food...

But....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

PS to "Precisely"

I forgot to mention semen.

8. GuyC

Why not lift the rest of the Ice Cream

So to be on the safe side they lifted anything in the shop that was made from the bodily fluids of an animal then? But on the plus side we now know where both of the Daly Fail readers live

9. The Alpha Klutz

oh boy

"Let the market regulate itself.... oh hang on, the market wants something we can't mass produce in China? Better get the banhammer out."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aliens

God knows what the aliens will be making of us as they notice how we pillory someone who has sex with an animal whilst thinking nothing of doing it with one of our own species, yet we then create an industry to let people drink the mammary grand excretions of animals whilst closing down shops that allow us to consume the derivatives of the most human-compatible milk on the planet.

Intellectualism aside, you have two hopes of me eating any of that dodgy ice cream: Bob Hope and no hope, you sick & pervy f**ks.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Aliens

Um, I spot a slight contradiction there. Unless you're being super-clever.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Aliens

Do keep up at the back.

2. Oninoshiko

Re: Sarah

I don't see any contridiction at all.

In my mind, at least, there is a world of difference between "I wouldn't do xyz" and "We should legislate away (and spend my money to enforce) the ability of others to knowing do xyz."

2. Michael Dunn
      Headmaster

Sick and pervy?

Why do you "asterisk" the word "folks"? Though it is actually plural without the "s" ;)

11. Parsifal
    FAIL

Nanny State In Overdrive

So breast feeding mothers now have to be screened before they feed their babies?.

Seriously what is the councils problem, if the donors are properly screened before donating milk whats the problem?. I'm not sure I would try it but to each their own.

Its not as if History doesn't have examples of other types of Breast Milk donation, such as Wet Nurses.

This seems more like someone in the council doesn't like it there nobody else should,

1. Marvin the Martian
      WTF?

As always "nanny state" writer = Daily Fail story inventor.

Why invent "now mothers have to be screened"? There's nothing like that in the actual news. And for your benefit, mothers-to-be are screened, since many years, for indeed disease transmission risks.

I like your pathetic attempt at historical insight. You refer to times when less than 1 in 3 Britons made it to 21 --- now it's above 99 in 100. Way to destroy your own argument.

2. The Alpha Klutz

The council.

Here's a fun game you can play with them:

Phone up, act panicked and state in a hysterical voice "did you know that the air our children are breathing is full of NITROGEN?". Hang up without offering any further explanation for your hysteria.

Laugh your ass off when they publicly announce their intention to ban Nitrogen.

1. Shane Orahilly
        Coat

Laird

They said they couldn't help at the moment, as the whole Environmental Department budget has been devoted to control of dihydrogen monoxide release. Apparently the streets are awash with it, especially in Manchester.

Mine's the DHMO shield at the end, cheers.

12. John G Imrie

Was on local TV last week

Guess that's where the objectors found out about it

13. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Marvin the Martian
      Paris Hilton

Women of bovine species: yes

Human females (you must have read about them) are not closely related to female cows, hence it's technically incorrect. But keep trying.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Women of bovine species: yes

I think he was just looking for an excuse.

14. Shonko Kid
    FAIL

We're a funny bunch...

Cow. Goat. Buffalo. Sheep. Yak. Llama! Yeah, go right a head and drink your fill. But milk from ANOTHER HUMAN. Oh no you don't -You might catch something!!

1. Marvin the Martian
      FAIL

Eh... yes?

Remember mad cow disease (or kuru in papua new guinea) and scrapie etc? Ebola/Marburg and probably HIV from eating monkeys?

There's plenty good reasons to eat parts of unrelated animals (or plants) and avoid what's similar; it's not all just bla-bla-ethics-bla you know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

I'm no scientist but...

I can see where you are coming from with eating, but human milk is there specifically to nourish members of the same species. So I'm not sure how this is relevant unless said business starts serving human hot dogs.

1. '); DROP TABLE comments; --
          Joke

Human hot dogs

Been done. Surely you remember manbeef.com?

15. CollyWolly
    Unhappy

arse

We have messed up social standards when it is frowned upon to drink breast milk from your own species, yet it is all fine and dandy if it comes from a cows udder.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Tried it myself, ugh.

Before people start giggling at me and asking me questions, let my explain...

My son was breastfeed, the milk usually oozes everywhere and after taking him off my wife after he had been fed it's normal to get a bit of the stuff on your hands.

It took a few months to get the courage up but my wife asked me to try a bit of the milk residue that was on my hands, so I thought "OK, what the hell"

It had a very greasy fatty taste about it and also because it was at body temperature it was not appealling at all really.

I can imagine that cows milk tastes the same before it is processed and chilled.

No doubt it's being sold as a gimmic rather than it actually offering any positive taste or health benefits.

1. fnkyfnstr
      WTF?

Fresh milk from the cow.

Not that I have tried it "straight" from the cow. but cooled whole fresh milk from the cow before it is taken from the farm is soo much better than standardised, homogenised, pasteurised milk bought at the supermarket..These three process are only present to improve the manufactures profit, presentation, and self life of milk in that order, and do nothing to improve the flavour. Heating it back upto 40 degrees or warmer makes for a pleasent drink.

Being bought up on a farm, drinking cows milk was the most natural thing you could do, however, I now would agree with others here, there is nothing "natural" about drinking cows milk, if you asked anybody to suck on a cows teat they would probably become nauseous at the idea, but they are doing just that, (Less the supply chain in between).

I see no reason why people cannot buy normal (Human) milk ice cream.

1. copsewood

no more green top

I bought this from the farm gate in my childhood once or twice. And very nice. But I think because there were always a very few getting tuberculosis by this route that's why you can no longer sell or buy it unpasteurised.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

It's the inspection fees

You can't get green top any more because the registration fees for an unpasturised diary are so horrendously high. My milkman stopped doing green top last year because it was getting too expensive. At my last check there were less than 100 diaries left in England registered to supply green top milk.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Thumb Up

@fnkyfnstr

"Not that I have tried it "straight" from the cow. "

I have.

Staying on a farm as a kid. Small farm, waiting for lorry to collect..

It's *really* strange (as a kid) when you're handed something that not been on a stove and you expect to cold but is actually warm.

"if you asked anybody to suck on a cows teat they would probably become nauseous at the idea,"

Put that way it does sound pretty weird.

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Nothing like you buy in the shops

>> I can imagine that cows milk tastes the same before it is processed and chilled

Can't say how it compares with human milk, but I can tell you that the white stuff sold in shops and called "milk" tastes nothing like what comes out of cows. It's a lot creamier when fresh and untreated, and it's lovely warm. Nothing beats "pick your own" at brew time: cup of tea + cow's udder + squeeze = white tea with a nice creamy taste. If you don't like it warm, then get a sample from the tank when it's had time to cool a bit.

One advantage of working on a dairy farm (as I used to as a lad), you can still drink real milk.

1. Chris Miller

Another vote for unpasteurised

When I were a lad, we had milk delivered from the local farm - 'green top', which meant unpasteurised from TT (tuberculin tested) cows. Unpasteurised milk is to pasteurised as pasteurised milk is to UHT.

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

@Tried it myself

Agreed. I tried it when my oldest child was a babe, and it was NOT good. "Bleh" is a good description of the taste. I can't imagine ice cream made from human breast milk would be any better.

As a child, I'd sometimes drink warm milk straight from a cow when my cousin milked her, and I remember it being much more palatable than the milk my wife made. Still strongish, and nothing like store-bought, but not as yucky as human.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Another here

I sometimes used to "check" the milk before feeding the kids when the missus was working to check the temperature.

It's disgusting. Very metallic tasting. Wouldn't recommend it.

Nowt like cow's milk that's for sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Flame

it wasn't stored right

when our little guy was on breastmilk, my wife used a pump to store the excess she produced and to make it easier when going out. Sometimes, the bottles we opened to feed him had that strong metallic odor (forget even about taste). It was due to mishandling. The milk coming out of her was instead very rich, fatty and extremely sweet. It was like drinking sweet consensed milk mixed with a handful of sugar. As much as I wanted to try it, I couldn't get past the overly sweet flavour. And if you're asking, I was breastfed for a few weeks only so I have this unresolved craving for jubs. ;-)

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Concerns over... you know, something bad

"Selling foodstuffs made from another person's bodily fluids can lead to viruses being passed on and in this case, potentially hepatitis."

Oh, hum, yeah, but what about:

"Our donor was screened at a leading medical clinic and then the ice cream mix is fully pasteurised"

Pasteurised = safe surely? But then they couldn't figure it out because:

1 - they didn't bother checking that the ice cream parlour pasteurised the breast milk.

2 - it solved a politically correctness issue raised by *gasp* not 1, but 2 bigots.

Which leaves us to conclude that either respectively :

1 - They were incompetent and did not follow proper procedures.

2 - They take us for idiots, find a lame excuse for their own bigotry, and hope that the stupid population will not notice that they blatantly lied.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.