It's always unwise to count out Marten Mickos. The former chief executive of MySQL scored big when Sun Microsystems bought the ever-rising open-source database star for a cool $1bn, and seemed destined to bring this same Midas touch to open-source cloud computing vendor Eucalyptus Systems, the company he currently runs. But in …
Thunder and lightning on its way? Still can't figure out how an Australian evergreen has any connection with virtual-ness. It's pretty reasonable tat from my exposure to it though.
The Australian evergreen was imported to California during the gold rush in the 19th century. Today there are plenty of Eucalyptus trees on the UC Santa Barbara campus.
And the name, of course, also stands for Elastic Utility Computing Architecture Linking Your Porgrams To Useful Systems. :-)
Ah yes shows I didn't bother to remember the meaning behind the acronym. Which must rate as one of the best attempts of creating one by bending words to match a real name.
- Leaked screenshots show next Windows kernel to be a perfect 10
- Product round-up Coming clean: Ten cordless vacuum cleaners
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? I need a password to BRAKE? What? No! STOP! Aaaargh!
- Episode 13 BOFH: WHERE did this 'fax-enabled' printer UPGRADE come from?
- Vulture at the Wheel Ford's B-Max: Fiesta-based runaround that goes THUNK