back to article Mobile spyware tool helps paranoid spouses prove themselves right

Paranoid spouses will find it even easier to track their partner with a new mobile spyware tool that delivers reports via email. ePhoneTracker from Retina Software secretly monitors "every cell phone activity" before sending reports via email. Comparable commercial mobile spyware products, such as FlexiSpy, work on mobile to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

So...

You need to actually get hold of your errant spouse's phone to install this software? Good luck with that and good luck with it not being noticed. I'm sure someone who was carrying on an extra-marital affair would think twice before handing his phone to his partner, or even leaving it password unprotected on the arm of the couch.

Secondly, is this even legal?

1. Rob Dobs
      Happy

TBD

A recent case ( I think in CA) seemed to decide that a woman had gone too far in spying on her husband (but might have been an ex-husband).

I would think in a Marriage, you give up any reasonable expectation of privacy (in regards to your spouse). I would think this would be no different than leaving a recording device, or eavsdropping in on a phone call. Either one would be illegal in most states with anyone else, but shoudln't be for your spouse.

That said spouses do still have to get power of attorney to make some legal decisions for their spouse (signing a contract in their stead for example), but don't need power of attorney for a decision like keeping your spouse alive (or not) on life support.

If your spouse is locking you out of their phone or email to begin with, you should give it up, they are not honest if they are doing that. That said it should be pretty easy to find time when they are asleep or in the lou to install the spy app.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You have to hand it to the marketing guys though

Perfect circular marketing:

You NEED this spy software, buy it from us and install it on your spouse's phone.

Pssst, Spouse - You NEED this other software to detect you might have spy software installeld, but it from us.

Pure genius.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

@AC SO...

Thats how most get caught, they just forget to pick phone up and other half jump on it

2. MaXimaN
    FAIL

Say what?

"If you think your spouse is cheating, then statistics state you are probably correct," said Gerald Carvey, VP of Product Development.

...so you probably don't need this software at all.

3. Ball boy Silver badge

Locked down phones?

To support applications like this and other 'user tracking' tools (I'm neither promoting or dismissing them) but also to prevent the spread of viruses, isn't it time smart phones came with multiple levels of login? I might like to install something on my kids' phone - but if they're as tech-savvy as the media always makes out, they'll be able to remove it.

Good example? Soon, it'll be hard to get a phone that doesn't have fast connections and a browser...one slip of the finger and, whoops!, up comes some interesting pr0n. I'd like to securely install a site blocker and so on. C'mon Andriod: you've got no excuses ;-)

4. Tom Wood
    Paris Hilton

Second phone...

I'd imagine, hypothetically speaking, that someone who was trying just a little bit to hide illicit activities of any sort might be wise to invest a few pence in a cheap PAYG second phone to use only for that purpose.

1. DavCrav

Nope

I don't, I just use the same phone. Erm... not that I'm doing anything like that.

5. James 51
    Joke

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

New reason to buy maemo or meego? :P

6. JaitcH
    Unhappy

So easily defeated ...

by using a dumb phone without all the bells & whistles.

Next there will be an App to detect this software.

7. Teksquisite

LOL

The smart cheater vs the dumbed down one! There are a lot of cheaters out there who use their "everyday" phone to cheat and wonder why they are in divorce court when they get busted...

8. Franklin
    FAIL

A title is required

I propose a cheaper and more elegant solution:

Get involved romantically only with people you trust. Encourage open communication within your relationship. Don't remain in romantic relationships with people you don't trust.

That way you save a few bucks on phone tracking software, and potentially on the legal issues that go with them. (Don't anti-wiretapping laws forbid this sort of thing, at least in the US?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

depends

On whether the phones are on the same account, and both parties signed the agreement putting them on the same account. However, if you buy your wife a phone and pay the bill, you can probably get done for installing this on it.

Also, all bets are off if she has a divorce attorney on retainer prior to your engagement*.

* anon because she did, and I know better now.

1. Steve Evans

Re: depends...

Cheating when the phones are on the same account would be a bit stupid, or am I the only person on the planet who still receives an itemised call list on my bill?

I believe the standard technique is to obtain a second phone. If the spouse doesn't even know it exists then they can't install anything on it!

2. dogged

(Don't anti-wiretapping laws forbid this sort of thing, at least in the US?)

That depends on who pays the bill. Assume that one party pays both phone bills; they are garded as "owning" that service contract.

Likewise, if both parties pay through a joint account for both phones, then both would have full rights to both phones.

9. heyrick Silver badge

Affair fail?

Surely the simplest solution to cheating is to pick up a cheap pay as you go phone (my supermarket will do one for a mere €20), disable the ringer (or keep it off when at home), and simply use that instead of your regular phone. Benefit? If it all goes to pot, just chuck the phone, or get one per girlfriend...

For what it's worth, I'm single, and not speaking from experience.

10. John Tserkezis

@Franklin

"Get involved romantically only with people you trust. Encourage open communication within your relationship. Don't remain in romantic relationships with people you don't trust."

With a situation where emotion is used as the primary currency, logic goes out the window. Someimes a bit of it, sometimes all logic. As the saying goes, love is blind.

So, it's nice in theory, but too bad that doesn't quite work out in practice.

At least a bit of if involves blind trust. It has to, otherwise it'll never work.

Unless you're happy with something like Sheldon and Amy (Big Bang Theory) anyway.

If you get the proportions out of whack, your other half could be the devil's sibling.

Too bad you'll never know.

Not without this app anyway. :-)

11. John Tserkezis

It's just a way for stupid people to part with more of their money.

As already stated, if one already suspects their spouse of cheating, enough to do something about it..

Then they're likely cheating. And breakup ensuse because innocent spouse gets pissed off enough.

If there is a spouse who's cheating, then generally, they're sloppy. That is, they in some twisted way, *want* to get caught.

If one is just plain paranoid their spouse is cheating, but they're not... (rare, but does happen)

Then they're not cheating. And breakup ensuse because innocent spouse gets pissed off enough.

If it's just paranoia in play, then said paranoid isn't quite ready for a relationship, they need to sort out their own shit before contining.

Either way, this has been happening since time immemorial. People have been dealing with it for a whopping long time before smartphones, and as I've said, they tend to leave enough clues that you don't need to tap phones anyway.

Having assisted others on this matter, it's never legal, it's never admissable in court, and serves only to confirm what they already knew.

So why spend money on it?

12. Scott Earle
    Paris Hilton

Spyware

Is this even news? There is a plethora of spyware out there for almost every smartphone platform, and even some for dumbphones (which are apparently called 'feature phones' these days?).

See http://www.iphonespyapp.com/ and others like it, for a taste.

There are legitimate uses for this kind of software, including keeping track of kids or employees - most parents would probably love to know where heir kids are, when it's after midnight and they said they'd be back before 10PM, and companies whose employees spend a lot of time away from the office would surely be interested in tracking the location of a company-provided mobe.

Paris because ... I'm sure there were times when she would have liked to have known where her phone was :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Paris

thumbs down to Paris ALWAYS.

That avatar sucks in more ways than one.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

"If you think your spouse is cheating, then statistics state you are probably correct"

Statistics also state that you're probably a wanker. For marrying the wrong person in the first place or for forcing her into adultery with constant jealousy and suspicions...

14. David 141
    Alert

Men are clueless, and careless.

"Statistics also state that you're probably a wanker. For marrying the wrong person in the first place or for forcing her into adultery with constant jealousy and suspicions..."

Actually the statistics say that it is women who are usually (correctly) suspicious. Men are generally clueless about their wives affairs, and careless about their own.

Of course statistics do show that men are almost always wankers (literally speaking), but then most women have also been shown to like a bit of alone time.

15. YumDogfood

Marrying the wrong person?

Working at your marriage is a lot art when the current environment encourages a lazy, entitled attitude with the ease of bailing out if it. Eat-prey-cheat and the rest of the divorce glamor industry don't help either, bashing from Kay Hymowitz telling us to "Man up" because we're not good enough (LOL!) The list is endless; various cultural bits of shiny-shiny worthless tinsel pulling couples apart or preventing them from trusting one another. I'm glad I'm not a young bloke in this horrid era. One major cluebat for y'all is: Men don't (often) commit because women are (often) bad at *keeping* commitments (look at the gender ratio for *who* files for divorce.)

16. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

If your spouse is cheating

Why would you want to know?

1. Global_S

Why might you want to know

STDs for starters.

2. Global_S

Why would you want to know?

STDs for starters.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Oh, that...

You will find out in due course (no apps needed) ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like