Feeds

back to article Discovery poised for final mission

Space shuttle Discovery is poised to launch tonight on its 39th and final mission – a last trip to the International Space Station which will end a career stretching over 26 years. The rotating service structure moves away from space shuttle Discovery. Photo: NASA NASA last night retracted the rotating service structure which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Terminator

Uh Oh

Did anyone ever see Red Planet....

Terminator

Tempting Fate

Careful now. Final mission? STS-133? Two planned space walks? A crew of retiring astronauts embark on a swansong mission and bring along an experimental robot "to demonstrate how dexterous robots behave in space"? Uh-oh..

Quote: "Everything is on track and going beautifully with the countdown. We're really looking forward to a very ACTION-PACKED, successful mission and everything is on track."

Why not just say "Nothing can go wrong"?

Coat

It couldn't have sounded like a film script

if they'd said

"The R2 was created by man. With software and hardware upgrades, we hope it will evolve- and that we can give the ISS many copies. Eventually, it may even look- and feel- human. We have a plan."

and then unveiled the R2, complete with scanning red eye-dot.

Oh, get my coat? By your command.

Pint

What could possible go wrong?

"We're really looking forward to a very action-packed, successful mission and everything is on track" ...

An experimental robot...

in a space module....

Sounds like the first few minutes of a new sci-fi survival horror flick.

/me breaks out he popcorn.

Silver badge
Terminator

It gets better!

Add in the fact that it's an easily reconfigurable/reprogramable android that's going to be on a space station that's connected to a fully autonomous ATV who's future consists of being filled with garbage and dumped to a fiery death once its usefulness is ended... and both are linked in to the central computer...

I can see it now, "We had to manually jettison the ATV when all it's systems shutdown, and BTW, R2's doing better than expected, but I'd swear it seems a bit... surly."

R2D2

Half-way there.

:-)

ttfn

Silver badge
Happy

If films colided...

"There's nothing wrong R2, just setting a new course. We're not going to regroup with the others, we're going to the Dagobah system."

"I'm sorry Luke, I'm afraid I can't let you do that..."

Bronze badge
Terminator

That is one badass-looking robot.

If it were silver not gold, it'd be pretty close to a Cylon tin-can. And the glowing finger-joints: Electro-nux(TM)? The Spartan-looking helmet and white (otherwise rather pointless shurely) space-jerkin do make it look kinda heroic though, so fingers crossed.

Also, is this the last Discovery mission or the last Shuttle mission full-stop? Request for clarification.

Silver badge

Two more after this

Currently scheduled as:

April 19th STS-134 with Endeavour

June 28th STS-135 with Atlantis

and then it's all over.

Silver badge
Welcome

Say what you like...

That's a protocol droid. The Empire is closer than you think...

I, for one, welcome our new dark overlords.

Joke

Now showing for your inflight entertainment,...

the movie "Saturn 3"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_3

Coat

Discovery poised for final countdown

What no Europe Icon.

Thumb Up

If the robot...

Malfunctions...

Can it punch your lights out?

Through the space helmet?

Or is it 200Kg of pure pussy?

Go

BTW

ATV Johannes Kepler just docked successfully with supplies, spare parts and fuel for the next elevation in orbit.

http://www.livestream.com/eurospaceagency?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=footerlinks

That's an autonomous vehicle docking completely on auto.

Have the Vulcans arrived yet?

This topic is closed for new posts.