back to article Motorola 'flagship' Honeycomb tablet to ship sans Flash

Will Brits who choose to splash out on Motorola's 10in Android tablet, Xoom, be able to view Adobe Flash-encoded content? Americans won't. According to US network operator Verizon, the Xoom's Flash support is "expected Spring 2011", and not when the tablet goes on sale on this coming Thursday, 24 February. The omission would …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Lawrence
    FAIL

Flash or not.....

...I ain't buying one. Waaaay too expensive for a fondleslab that does even less than an iPad, which is itself waaay too expensive for what it is - an entertainment device good for simple apps, games, browsing, music and photos.

Loads of people have responded to previous tablet articles, clarifying their hardware/operating system/price expectations and I agree with them all.

Well I may consider buying one when it is liquidated stock, after it has bombed bigtime due to the issues already discussed umpteen times over.

2. Robert Hill
    Thumb Up

Great explanation...

I wasn't aware of all the port problems involved with the "standard" ARM processor...does this affect all native-code applications, or is Flash merely more sensitive to chipset differences?

1. Tom Chiverton 1

The hardware...

The hardware boys have to write an adapter for their platform, then get the adapter+player certified. Takes time, but important for true run-anywhere that Flash strives for

3. Marky W
    Coat

Fnarr, snork, etc...

"The sound you can hear is a host of CW and Motorola UK staffers touching wood all at the same time."

To be fair, I've always thought that most CW sales staff were w*nkers.....

4. Robert E A Harvey

Is it the BBC

Is it the iPlayer that makes Flash important in the UK? I'm beginning to loose track of what needs what.

5. Dan Wilkinson
    FAIL

Title

The words "Bwah" and "Haha" spring to mind. iPad 2 will be out before anyone brings out anything remotely competitive. The tablet market needs good kit from a range of vendors, only rather than making tablets that are good products by their own right, everyone is doing the exact same "Let's do stuff the iPad doesn't do!" bandwagon, and then failing to actually make good on the promises. The android lot need to both ship a good tablet between them (and prove that they will honour the upgrade paths), RIM needs to shut up and just ship ANYTHING, given that they have already introduced the playbook right up the 3rd generation without a single unit in anyones hands, and the WEBOS one needs to arrive on time with the announced spec. Anything else is just handing the market to apple on a plate. And let's not mention Nokia, eh...

1. turnip handler

HTC?

Looks like HTC have actually tried to do something different with the HTC Flyer, the 'magic' pen and kid mode stand out as things I've not seen on any other tablet. I've enjoyed using the HTC sense and it really seems to want to challange the other phone/big phone makers. Hopefully the Flyer will be as good as it looks.

Link provided in case you're too busy to search:

http://www.htc.com/www/product/flyer/overview.html

6. Robert Synnott

Looks like Apple may have been dead right

One of the reasons that Apple gave for not supporting Flash was that it would leave them at Adobe's mercy for updates. I assume the issue here is that Flash for Android 3.0 isn't ready yet. While this is borderline tolerable on Android, where users do not usually expect or get timely OS updates, it would clearly be unacceptable on iOS, where users generally get the update a few hours after it comes out. Imagine if Apple had to hold back iOS 5 by six months because Adobe was dragging its heels on Flash!

7. Matt Bradley
    Grenade

Advent Vega

I bought an Advent Vega from PCWorld (spits) 2 weekends ago.

The Android flavour that came installed on the device was hideously locked down, and apart from not having a decent app store, it didin't support Flash or the BBC iPlayer App.

After about 15 minutes Googling, I found the MoCaDo ROM which replaces PC World's locked down Android with a more "full fat" version which includes Android Marketplace, some other goodies and... Flash 10.1

One hour later I had a properly fully featured Andorid 2.2 10" tablet

It works perfectly fine. the Flash player is perfectly stable. It is nice to be able to watch video content from iPlayer, news.BBC and 4OD on my tablet PC. Very happy.

And it cost roughly half as much as an iPad.

My iPad arrives when I buy a second hand iPad from ebay off an eager fanboi in April. ;)

8. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

The Problem Is Not With ARM

It is with the proprietary software model. This is what has kept the world locked into the cold dead arms of Wintel for all these years.

If the Flash code were open then nobody would need to wait for Adobe to get around to recompiling Flash for them and everybody could get around to actually making better tablets.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like