Last year in Latin America pay TV growth overtook virtual the entire world, with the revenues from Pay TV in Latin America growing at about $1 billion a month, while the region added some 6.7 million new homes. And funnily enough it is a UK set top vendor, Pace, the number one in the world, which is best positioned to make hay …
Impressives to see a UK mfg lead in this area
Although obviously not *making* them in the UK.
UK sells to South America and
we buy from Korea.
The football world cup was transmitted in full by pay TV (in this side of the world). Open TV transmitted only a handful of matches. That may help explain the "explosion".
Everybody was installing satellite dishes or some form of cable to get to see the matches.
But is this growth here to stay?
How many people will ditch their contracts after the first year?
But I have some Pace BBC gear here - still working!
And I have a Pace PVR which will soon fail
Already a right PITA with turning it on and off. But come DSO scrap time.
I took it on holiday to a DSO region and it didn't record anything. And Pace support are not interested.
Will be replaced by a Humax very soon.
...they still used RISC OS in the STBs.
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Analysis Microsoft's licence riddles give Linux and pals a free ride to virtual domination
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- Special Report How Britain could have invented the iPhone: And how the Quangocracy cocked it up
- I KNOW how to SAVE Microsoft. Give Windows 8 away for FREE – analyst