Feeds

back to article Mio Navman V575 TV satnav and Freeview tuner

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be – invading Iraq and putting Vanessa Feltz on TV are a couple of arguable examples that spring to mind. Fitting a TV to a satnav is possibly another. Mio V575 TV Mio's Navman V575 TV – licence fee not included Given that a terrifyingly large number of drivers seem …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Alert

Poor Idea

480 x 272 lines is so nearly 5 years ago. Toy Sat navs have this. A new Model with nearly 5" and less than 800 x 480 is crazy.

A Satnav with built in TV is crazy. It's obsolete too with much of Europe (and even UK for HD) using MPEG4 for SD and HD.

Ireland's DTT is MPEG4 only and no simulcast of SD and HD.

This is a truly obsolete and daft product.

Stop

@Mage

"480 x 272 lines is so nearly 5 years ago. Toy Sat navs have this. A new Model with nearly 5" and less than 800 x 480 is crazy." But the image quality is fine so what diff would 800x480 make ???

"This is a truly obsolete and daft product." most of the TV watched in the UK is SD and will be for the foreseeable future.

Silver badge

Prizes

Will there be awards for the best crashes due to combined use of the device?

Things like 'Attention diverted while watching Polce, Camera, Action'?

Or 'Nicked for doing 80 in a 50 zone while watching J.C. bleat on endlessly about speed cameras kiling people'?

Or 'Death due to rear-ending an artic whle viewing 'Ass Bandits7'?

Happy

Not new, not crazy

VDO and Garmin have made similar for years and probably other companies too, cannot see any crazy in that. Of course you are not supposed to watch TV while driving but the same goes for speaking on the phone or reading the newspaper.

Silver badge

I remimber back when the TomTom came out

Back when the first TomTom came out and people found out how to use it, they were speculating about adding a DVB-T receiver and using it as a TV-set.

The idea is fairly old and it only adds a few euros of cost. I doubt it's much use, but potentially communities could have DVB-T transmitters transmitting trafic information or updated maps.

Anonymous Coward

Watching television while

driving is illegal.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/5016476.Blackburn_man_fined_for_watching_TV_while_driving/?ref=rss

This thing will sell like hot bread

Dunno about UK, but in a lot of countries around the world the taxi dash has two devices - a GPS and a telly. The former - for obvious reasons, the latter - to watch reality TV and mexican/puerto rican soap operas while waiting for the next customer.

This thing will sell like hot bread.

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dower

Anonymous Coward

Video output?

If it can output the signal it'd be something I'd consider. The kids' screens in the back of 'er indoors' motor could show the TV instead of the same old DVDs then.

I would drive and watch tv

If I was still in the UK, I'd definitely get this and I would watch tv while I'm driving. Unfortunately the country I'm in right now is still limited to terrestrial or cable/sat. No digital freeview type thing.

Thumb Up

I would cycle and watch tv

If I could get this little babe to run off my dynamo!

(Tour de France, etc.)

Anonymous Coward

digital tv

is this really practical for a mobile device without a proper antennae? I can't even get any channels in my flat with a half decent one, although the web assures me that i will have a much better signal once we go all digital.

Also, I live half an hours drive away from Manchester, but had to retune my freeview box when travelling between home and there. If you have to rescan all your channels every time you switch transmitters, it will soon get a tad annoying.

How long until...

... the government bring in compulsory TV Licenses for cars?

Bronze badge

my X5 has it OEM

not that unusual - my X5 has built in GPS and TV - no biggy.

I hacked it so it works while driving - but only to provide a mirror output of my hacked ipod - so I can more easily change tracks with it.

I suppose it does mean you could watch movies while driving if you were an idiot.

Coat

loop

With a Blaupunkt sat nav / DVB-T receiver I found myself sitting in a car adjusting the sat nav while watching James May sitting in a car adjusting a satnav, you get the idea...

This topic is closed for new posts.