Feeds

back to article NASA's Stardust braves cometary flak

NASA's Stardust spacecraft has survived a close encounter with comet Tempel 1, during which it took a few substantial hits from cometary flak. The craft passed within 111 miles of the comet at 20:40 p.m. PST on 14 February (04:40 GMT on 15 February), and has returned some impressive photos of the distant body. Four views of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Joke

Impact site before and after

Hmmm, doesn't look like much of a crater to me, are they sure those arrows shouldn't be pointing to that bloody great hole just to the left.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Space Boffinery 1

Flat Earthers 0

Yay!

Silver badge
Alien

Are the sure it's a crater?

Looks more like one of those damn pictures of Jesus that keep appearing on my toast.

Silver badge
Joke

Before and After pictures

So the effect of spacecraft impact on a comet is that the comet becomes more blurry?

Luther does science (for a change)

Method:

1. Take 1 Opera (sorry for the product placement)

2. Key Shft+'+ ' a few times

3. Pick up one wooden ruler, calibrated in mmmmm

4. Read length of scale bar. Record reading

5. Read diameter of crater. Record reading

Results:

Scale bar = 22mm +/-1mm

Crate = 5mm +/-0.5mm

Conclusion:

Windoze Notepad says crater is 45.454545454545454545454545454545m in diameter (not 150m)

Surmise: Is this why the new pictures are warm and fuzzy? Observe further: not a single occurrence of 'ice' in the whole item. Seriously, isn't this a falsification of the 'snowy dirtball' model of comets? "We saw a lot of new things that we didn't expect, and we'll be working hard to figure out what Tempel 1 is trying to tell us." Would that be hard as in maths, or hard as in rock?

Bronze badge

What about the "200 m" bar right next to the crater?

I don't know about Luther's calculation. My simple-country-boy approximation of the crater size to the 200m marking in the picture makes 150m much more likely than 45m.

Am I misreading something?

This topic is closed for new posts.