NASA's Stardust spacecraft has survived a close encounter with comet Tempel 1, during which it took a few substantial hits from cometary flak. The craft passed within 111 miles of the comet at 20:40 p.m. PST on 14 February (04:40 GMT on 15 February), and has returned some impressive photos of the distant body. Four views of …
Impact site before and after
Hmmm, doesn't look like much of a crater to me, are they sure those arrows shouldn't be pointing to that bloody great hole just to the left.
Space Boffinery 1
Flat Earthers 0
Are the sure it's a crater?
Looks more like one of those damn pictures of Jesus that keep appearing on my toast.
Before and After pictures
So the effect of spacecraft impact on a comet is that the comet becomes more blurry?
Luther does science (for a change)
1. Take 1 Opera (sorry for the product placement)
2. Key Shft+'+ ' a few times
3. Pick up one wooden ruler, calibrated in mmmmm
4. Read length of scale bar. Record reading
5. Read diameter of crater. Record reading
Scale bar = 22mm +/-1mm
Crate = 5mm +/-0.5mm
Windoze Notepad says crater is 45.454545454545454545454545454545m in diameter (not 150m)
Surmise: Is this why the new pictures are warm and fuzzy? Observe further: not a single occurrence of 'ice' in the whole item. Seriously, isn't this a falsification of the 'snowy dirtball' model of comets? "We saw a lot of new things that we didn't expect, and we'll be working hard to figure out what Tempel 1 is trying to tell us." Would that be hard as in maths, or hard as in rock?
What about the "200 m" bar right next to the crater?
I don't know about Luther's calculation. My simple-country-boy approximation of the crater size to the 200m marking in the picture makes 150m much more likely than 45m.
Am I misreading something?
- Product round-up Six of the best gaming keyboard and mouse combos
- Opinion So, Apple won't sell cheap kit? Prepare the iOS garden wall WRECKING BALL
- LinuxCon 2014 GitHub.io killed the distro star: Why are people so bored with the top Linux makers?
- Opinion IT blokes: would you say that LEWD comment to a man? Then don't say it to a woman
- 6 Obvious Reasons Why Facebook Will Ban This Article (Thank God)