back to article Old folks' phones set to take over from nurses

Doro, the other mobile phone company from Lund, Sweden, has announced a couple of deals at Mobile World Congress that less grown-up companies would tout with words like "ecosystem", and "partnerships". The mainstream manufacturers have avoided phones for old people, sorry, seniors, and the running has been left to the likes of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Joke

Hmm

Glad this isn't on WP7... "overdoseGuard.exe has performed and illegal operation and will be shut down. OK?"

Go

Not a bad idea, actually

Especially the diabetes angle. Although it doens't go far enough.

My sister has diabetes and as a result carries around three extra electronic gadgets, not counting her phone or the devices that are actually attached to her. There's a test strip reader, a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) remote, and insulin pump remote. But she also has an Android phone, in an ideal world she could just get an app to replace two of those other devices. The strip reader necessarily requires special hardware, but the other two just send or receive RF messages, something a smart phone is quite capable of.

It pump represents a unique security problem in that it could theoretically kill her, so I can sort of understand why the manufacturer would be reluctant to let any old device control it. But for the CGM, I can't see any reason this couldn't be done aside from general proprietary evilness.

Text based messages?

Surely they should be coding an app for that? Taking lots of medicines isn't just for seniors - and with the smartphone/app growth a better approach would be for the app on the phone

Troll

I read this just after the "Ecstasy" article...

I read this just after the "Ecstasy" article, and it set me thinking there are other provider-consumer relationships where the provider would be happy to have a system that reminds the consumer to take more pills.

Yes, Text based messages.

Read the first post. An app could crash. Hopefully the server sending the text messages wouldn't. Or if it does, someone would reboot it. In any case this is for dumbphones, not "smartphones" so no installable app.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums