back to article Bluetooth Special Interest Group hands out cups

Bluetooth's Low Energy variant has been the subject of its annual developers' Innovation Cup, with three winners selected, though it is hard to say which will be the killer application for the technology. Wireless monitoring of LPG canisters, ear movements and head trauma beat off the wireless barbecue and keyfob multimeter to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dale 3

Bluetooth Low Energy desperately needs a killer application

Bluetooth desparately needs to be able to maintain a connection, not just for a few days, but also for the few days after that when it randomly disconnects, fails to reconnect without manual intervention, restarting everything, unplugging and plugging the dongle into a different USB port, etc.

Ok, so all of that probably isn't part of the Bluetooth spec. In that case, I'll revise it to "bluetooth desparately needs an *implementation* able to maintain a connection."

2. Code Monkey

Actually...

...the head trauma monitor does sound extremely useful (potentially a life-saving app, rather than killer app) but would, as, Dale 3 says, require a decent connection.

3. Terry Cloth

[Lack of] range is attractive

I'd think a, say, 2m range would be a killer app. Then I'd only have to worry about eavesdroppers right next to me, rather than those in the next county.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like