back to article CSC faces lockout over Indian 'slave' row

CSC Denmark is facing angry union action over the company's use of temporary Indian workers paid a fraction of normal Danish wages. CSC has had to warn customers of a possible lockout of union workers - about a third of its staff are Prosa members. Some 120 CSC staff have returned building passes and laptops to the company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fluffykins Silver badge

Old news?

29th March 2010: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/ites/csc-under-scanner-for-exploiting-indian-it-professionals-in-denmark/articleshow/5736717.cms

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Same tired old excuses

We've been given the same tired old excuses in the UK for years "oh they are only here for short term work", meanwhile IT jobs in the UK disappear, and more and more IT departments fill up with non EEC sourced slave labour.

Glad to see the Danes still have some Viking spirit left, wish we had some in the UK!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah...

If the press (other than Private Eye) had any balls they'd be reporting as a national scandal the bailed out banks off-shoring jobs like there is no tomorrow. ie: Making UK tax payers redundant and employing the same jobs with lower quality non-uk tax payers, right after the tax payer bail out. The problem is that the general public don't understand the difference between a city banker and other bank staff and everyone loves it when "bankers" loose their jobs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Same as the UK

Tesco do the same thing here but to eastern Europeans. They use an agency in those countries to promise workers x amount of £'s, pay for their plane ticket and then put them (6 people) up in small house in which they charge extortionate amount of rent. It’s all recovered from their salary so basically they are earning about £3 an hour if they are lucky.

Best of all, the agency is actually owned by Tesco………….how much did Tesco make last year £4 billion?

Anonymous because……….well just because

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

So whats new

You employee, me employer, you bend over while I shaft you.

And dont forget to say thank you afterwards.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

UK do this too

They have been doing this for years. When I worked for them ten years ago they wanted me to stop being a developer and start managing some very low paid Indian workers they'd flown over. The message was that UK staff would not be doing development any more.

This didn't sit well with me so I got out of there and have had no problems earning a living as a developer ever since.

It seems the difference this time round is that the Danes are not prepared to accept it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

He'll be Unpopular Among His Peers

Because if they are stopped from doing this, all those Indians will lose their employment, which even though it is rubbish by our high standards is a lot better than anything they could get in India.

You only have to look at how happy Indians (and those from eastern Europe etc) are to let their employers fiddle their wages and indeed how loyal they are to those employers to see how awful it must be where they were previously.

7. despairing citizen
    Unhappy

Losing their Rep

CSC are starting to get a rep as a bunch of con artists, which is a pity they used to be a solid outfit back when they where one of my system suppliers.

This short term profiteering is going to wreck the company. I would suggest the shareholders sack the board and appoint a new one to clean up their act before it's too late.

(Remember pension funds are the main shareholders in companies today, they do want long term stability)

8. FewMenChew

Listen to what they don't say...

Whilst CSC deny what they are doing is illegal, I notice they don't claim that their actions are either moral, or ethical.

A conspicuous omission for such a pious organisation!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like