Feeds

back to article TNZ and Voda in Kiwi broadband win

The New Zealand government has begun commercial negotiations with Telecom New Zealand and Vodafone for its $NZ300 million Rural Broadband Initiative (RBI). Under the project, the government plans to start a rollout during 2011 that aims to eventually connect 97 per cent of rural schools in the country to fibre, and achieve …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Oh Rosemary What Did You Do

CLEAR used to be such a great company. *Shakes head*

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Only to be expected

Yes, let's give the new local monopoly to the incumbent and its best friend, since their cartel has been so effective in keeping NZ Internet prices so high and capacity caps so low.

Only to be expected with the current business and rich people loving government, of course.

Silver badge

Current connectivity

I live and work in rural NZ. I'm out of range of ADSL and have no cell coverage (behind a hill) and therefore no mobile internet.

For the last few years I've been using http://www.scorch.co.nz/ to get wireless broadband. I pay for 2Mbits but regularly get 3+.

The talk of 5MiB has some appeal though I really doubt most rural businesses need anything more than 1Mbits to check the weather, do emails and check on current commodity prices.

2Mbits or more is generally only useful for entertainment purposes. Sure farmers need youtube too, but this is entertainment - not business use.

This topic is closed for new posts.