back to article Battlestar Galactica vets needed for online roleplay

Battlestar Galactica fans are being asked test drive a massively multiplayer online game version of their favorite sci-fi show, from game giant Bigpoint. On Tuesday, the company plans to open a worldwide beta of Battlestar Galactica Online (BSGO), based on the Syfy-channel series, that lets you fly, fight, and wage war as a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comparison to EVE-Online

So why is this better than the established EVE-Online MMORPG?

1. Alastair Dodd 1

Because it's FREE

and actually alot more twitch based than Eve which is just the world's prettiest Spreadsheet.

Don't just naysay it as there is an established product on the market, that would be like saying we don't need an iphone 5 as the 4 is good enough!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Terminator

Probably isn't

Given it runs in a browser (lol) I don't imagine it eve-n (heh) approaches what a proper client can do. Still, sounds interesting, might give it a try, I fancy wiping out some human scum seeing as it's Monday :o)

2. Dave 142

Network!

I'm not having a networked computer on my ship!

3. Matt 70
    Thumb Down

mehh

Fetish for Minnie ships? Fenrir, Hel?? Hope they have better rust protection.

Played Dark Orbit for one night . Got constantly spammed with micro transaction guff whilst online, so while the subject is fantastic, I'll be giving this a wide birth.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Once upon a time.......

Far far away in another galaxy - when I was VERY young.... as in VERY VERY young....

I was there when Cattle Car Galactica - the movie and TV series came out.....

Sure there were some clever things and special effects.... BUT the series decended quickly into a trudge of "stretching it all out" by introducing endless entangled plots, about many superficial things in many peoples lives.....

And it turned out to be "Gilligan's Island" in 500th rerun mode, and basically it should have been a short and to the point series with a definite start - plot and ending - with a clean kill.

But no it dragged on forever..... and getting to be so shit it was as bad as the add's that were created as a filler in the add breaks.

Every re-creation of the show has suffered the same Big Fizz and stale water syndrome ever since.

Personally I think the Computer Game version of this is just the same fucking crap repackaged - just to make a quick buck by trading off a go-nowhere series that has been dragging on in various guises for the last 35 years....

1. Shadowthrone

...every re-creation?

Erm....The Orginal BSG series was pretty short as series' go. When it was cancelled people lobbied the studios to bring it back (which was almost unheard of at the time). They released Galactica:1980 which ran for a single series and was pretty bad, even when measured up against the original series.

There has only been one re-creation of BSG (to my knowledge) and that is the franchise this game is based off..... I do agree they REALLY dragged their heels with the new version milking it for as many episodes as possible that did not seem to actually go anywhere for a while.

5. Anton Ivanov
    Thumb Up

First were the toasters...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/posters/cfca/

6. Studley
    Alien

It's a Cylon infiltration plan

Presumably you need a networked computer to play this?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

As usual, no Linux

The perpetual problem swings forth.

The games developers refuse to code for Linux because there is no user base ... and there is no user base because no one codes for Linux.

Short sighted bastards.

I refuse to go back to Windows just to play some expensive games. It would be stupefyingly short sighted to do that. I might as well put the money behind a console.

Still, I'm playing UT 2004 which came with a Linux installer on the retail DVD. Frag it up, prime those grenades, clean the scopes and let's get on with some action! Looks like no games houses are getting their mitts on my wages for another few years to come :-)

1. The Mighty Biff
      Grenade

Quake Live = Linux support

And it runs (sort of) in the browser...

And its waaaayy better than UT :)

8. Francis Boyle Silver badge

True to the show?

I didn't watch it much but I'm pretty sure Adama wasn't made out of bronze.

9. Glyn 2
    Pint

drinks

Will this be like the TV series where all major decisions can only be made after imbibing at least 2 bottles of ambrosia?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Prey tell...

...what's wrong with that :-)

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    WTF?

Why is Albert Wesker commanding the Battlestar carrying Mai Waifu?

I demand an answer!

11. liquidphantom
    FAIL

Why?

I loath browser based clients, they require plugins that make your browser run like a pig when not playing. Looking at the site there it is Unity web player, caused me no end of problems in the past

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buying Cubits

Had a wander over to the site and read that people are having problems buying Cubits (in-game currency).

You have to pay real money for in-game currency?

Looks like the only way to have a better ship, etc is the amount of money you are willing pay to get in-game currency to buy the upgrades.

I think I'll give this game a miss.

Being limited to the BSG universe it will be short lived anyway.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternative

For anyone interested in a space based MMORPG that doesn't cost anything (to purchase, to subscribe or in-game) then you may want to go and search for the earth and beyond emulator.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like