back to article Paxo in second c-word shocker

Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman was in trouble for adding a consonant to "cuts" during Monday's show, now he's used another c-word to describe the programme's daily email. With the subject line "This is an ex-email", Paxman said he was writing "positively the last Newsnight daily email. The time has come to put this exercise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love it

Had I known Jeremy's Newsnight email contained such repartee I would have definitely signed up. Now it's too late for me. I love how the use of the word fatuous just takes the edge off outright calling the boss stupid.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hooray...

...it bit of common sense. Now kill all the other pointless shite that BBC do and stick to broadcasting.

3. Blofeld's Cat
    Stop

Gizmo?

Perhaps I'm getting cynical but I suspect the problem is more that some junior sub-editor has been desperately trying to get program details, and/or a sign off, from her "superiors" so she can send out the emails promptly.

Just in case anyone else hasn't mentioned it yet:

Gizmo? Sounds like they've got gremlins.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise

Paxman has always been pretty dismissive of all the web/email/twitter/etc things that have been added around Newsnight and which he has to "plug" at the end of the program ... clearly it shows what an effective communicator he is as whenever he mentions them its always comes across in a sort of Jedi mind-trick sort of way like "here's how to get the daily email ... you don't want to sign up for this"

1. BorkedAgain
      Thumb Up

"These are not the blogs you're looking for"

Quite so. In any case, isn't that what iPlayer is for?

I rather like the BBC. Paxman makes me smile in the same way Charlie Brooker makes me guffaw.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Paxo...

I tend to agree, Paxo is pretty poor at anything science and technology and seems to feel quite threatened by it. You just have to watch him on University Challange, someone gets an obscure question about arts or history wrong and he's impatient and often quite rude, someone get a piss easy question about science or IT right and it's all "very well done..."

There was a recording of UC a few years back where the answer to one of the questions was "A Radical", the team from Oxford (I forget which one) answered "A Free Radical", "Wrong!" says Paxo, as if they were morons, followed by the team captain pointing out that "they're the same thing." That bit was edited out of the transmission...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bring back

Bring back the Newsnight weather forecast. Paxo (better known as the Rottweiler surely?) may have hated doing it but he was the best. He said more in 5 seconds than the usual wafflers could impart in 5 minutes.

1. John 62
      Thumb Up

It's April

What do you expect?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Switch on my television

Yes, that thing I don't have :)

No big loss though.

7. Jim 59
    Go

Nice one Paxo

Nice one Paxo. We prefer our telly programs without 36 layers pointless cruft.

8. Andrew Richards

... and a helpful chap too

Whilst appearing not to suffer fools gladly he's also a nice chap. A few years ago Newsnight dropped the brief today-in-the-market-summary and introduced a similarly brief weather forecast. JP did this in an expectedly terse fashion (e.g. it'll rain tomorrow - take an umbrella, etc.).

A friend of mine on a round the world trip at the time didn't believe this. I emailed JP and he emailed my friend to back me up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

One for the Family Guy fans

Tom Tucker the news anchorman, "So Olly, what's the weather gonna be like today?".

Cut to big lad in front of weather board, shouts "IT GONNA RAIN!".

Cut back to Tom, "Ermm OK, thanks Olly!"

9. Ged Perryman

Blackberry Torch

Anyone else frustrated at not being able to read articles because the Blackberry Torch

ad is constantly overlapping the text? I think I'll stick to my iPhone thanks.

10. Richard Porter
    Coat

Gizmo

"we reckon the average Reg reader could knock together a "gizmo" out of an old desktop and some double-sided sticky tape."

Surely you mean a washing-up liquid bottle and some sticky-bck plastic, don't you?

1. Anton Ivanov

Why waste perfectly good gaffer tape

Come on, why waste perfectly good tape when an ancient desktop would have been more than sufficient.

11. Richard Porter
    Thumb Up

Weather forecast

The best one was "It's April - what do you expect?"

12. Jacqui

outsourcing

Anyone have one of these emails - care to share the full headers - did the email get routed through a TP MSP or was it direct from a bbc controlled IP space?

If the prior, then I can assume heavy greylisting etc would be in place and delivery rates would be as described. If direct from the BBC then delivery would depend upon just how much the BBC have pissed off the MSP.

13. jokr
    Pirate

Ads?

@Ged Perryman

Not me, adblock ftw

14. LinkOfHyrule
    Thumb Up

Did you threaten to overrule him?

Good ol' Paxo! It's always worth having the popcorn on standby when he's presenting Newsnight!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like