back to article Norwegian MP nominates Wikileaks for Nobel Peace Prize

Julian Assange could find just himself in the company of Barack Obama, the Dali Llama and Aung San Suu Kyi, after a Norwegian politician nominated Wikileaks for the Nobel Peace Prize. However, the hacker turned world's favourite leaker-in-chief will no doubt be rather conscious of what happened to the likes of Martin Luther …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark McNeill
    Coffee/keyboard

the Dali Llama

Playmobil figure pliz!

2. Ubuntu Is a Better Slide Rule
    Grenade

We Want You To... Attend Nobel Prize Awards

And right after that, a Boeing 737 will take you to a secret Prison. You can either chose Yemen or Georgia. The democrats there will assure your freedom.

Signed

Neo-Quisling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendition_aircraft

3. Nick Galloway
    FAIL

Good company

Given that Yassar Arafat, leader of the PLO (terrorist organisation) was a winner of this prize, as was the IPCC with Al Gore, whose predictions of doom and desolation are looking questionable and the unlucky Barack Obama barely a mointh in to his first term as president. If Assange gets this award it will demonstrate the growing irrelevance of these awards. I think the people of Southern Sudan should get the award having conducted a seperatist referendum in a seemingly bloodless manner. Assange is just and egotistical grand stander who cannot take his own medicine, not a crusader of truth or peace.

1. Mister_C

Don't forget Henry Kissenger

I quote Tom Lehrer:

Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

4. mhenriday
    Thumb Up

Three cheers for Snorre Valen !

but given that Den Norske Nobelkomite is safely in the hands of people like Thorbjørn Jagland, whose primary concern is Norway's relation to the USA, the chances that WikiLeaks or Bradley Manning will be awarded the prize are minimal. And given that people like Heinz Alfred Kissinger, Barack Hussein Obama, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin, Joseph Austen Chamberlain, Theodore Roosevelt, who have not always been known for their contributions to peace (unless, of course, the definition placed in the mouth of Calgacus by Gaius Cornelius Tacitus - «ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant» - is generally accepted) have been awarded the prize, perhaps WikiLeaks and Manning would prefer other company. Still, there have been worthy laureates, like Linus Carl Pauling, Martin Luther King Jr, Willy Brandt, Rigoberta Menchú Tum, Kim Dae Jung, et al, so our prospective laureates could stand on that side of the room (to the degree that they haven't been placed in solitary confinement). But as I said, with Thorbjørn running the show, it will never happen....

Hope I'm proved wrong !...

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like