Schooner Information Technology, a startup that has been pushing its Web caching and MySQL acceleration appliances since it came out of stealth mode in April 2009, has ditched the hardware. The IBM System x hardware, to be specific. The Membrain appliance, as it is now called, is based on a modified version of the open source …
XC10 a factor?
IBM has its own in-memory key-value caching appliance - the DataPower XC10... So why compete against an expensive appliance when you can massively undercut it by providing the software only?
Then again enterprise customers with lots of cash and a need not to have to manage banks of Linux servers might be tempted by the DataPower appliance.
- Facebook offshores HUGE WAD OF CASH to Caymans - via Ireland
- Justin Bieber BEGGED for a $200k RIM JOB – and got REJECTED
- Microsoft teams up with Feds, Europol in ZeroAccess botnet zombie hunt
- Review Bigger on the inside: WD’s Tardis-like Black² Dual Drive laptop disk
- Mexican Cobalt-60 robbers are DEAD MEN, say authorities