Schooner Information Technology, a startup that has been pushing its Web caching and MySQL acceleration appliances since it came out of stealth mode in April 2009, has ditched the hardware. The IBM System x hardware, to be specific. The Membrain appliance, as it is now called, is based on a modified version of the open source …
XC10 a factor?
IBM has its own in-memory key-value caching appliance - the DataPower XC10... So why compete against an expensive appliance when you can massively undercut it by providing the software only?
Then again enterprise customers with lots of cash and a need not to have to manage banks of Linux servers might be tempted by the DataPower appliance.
- Just TWO climate committee MPs contradict IPCC: The two with SCIENCE degrees
- 14 antivirus apps found to have security problems
- Feature Scotland's BIG question: Will independence cost me my broadband?
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- Driverless car SQUADRONS to hit Britain in 2015