Schooner Information Technology, a startup that has been pushing its Web caching and MySQL acceleration appliances since it came out of stealth mode in April 2009, has ditched the hardware. The IBM System x hardware, to be specific. The Membrain appliance, as it is now called, is based on a modified version of the open source …
XC10 a factor?
IBM has its own in-memory key-value caching appliance - the DataPower XC10... So why compete against an expensive appliance when you can massively undercut it by providing the software only?
Then again enterprise customers with lots of cash and a need not to have to manage banks of Linux servers might be tempted by the DataPower appliance.
- +Comment 'Private Facebook' Ello: There's a REASON we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- NASA rover Curiosity drills HOLE in MARS 'GOLF COURSE'
- WHY did Sunday Mirror stoop to slurping selfies for smut sting?
- Business is back, baby! Hasta la VISTA, Win 8... Oh, yeah, Windows 9
- Shellshock: 'Larger scale attack' on its way, warn securo-bods