Schooner Information Technology, a startup that has been pushing its Web caching and MySQL acceleration appliances since it came out of stealth mode in April 2009, has ditched the hardware. The IBM System x hardware, to be specific. The Membrain appliance, as it is now called, is based on a modified version of the open source …
XC10 a factor?
IBM has its own in-memory key-value caching appliance - the DataPower XC10... So why compete against an expensive appliance when you can massively undercut it by providing the software only?
Then again enterprise customers with lots of cash and a need not to have to manage banks of Linux servers might be tempted by the DataPower appliance.
- Comment Renewable energy 'simply WON'T WORK': Top Google engineers
- Nexus 7 fandroids tell of salty taste after sucking on Google's Lollipop
- Useless 'computer engineer' Barbie FIRED in three-way fsck row
- Game Theory Dragon Age Inquisition: Our chief weapons are...
- 'How a censorious and moralistic blogger ruined my evening'