back to article Denon Ceol with Apple AirPlay

Denon has been holding back on the release of its new Ceol music system until it received an Apple AirPlay upgrade, which happened this week. Now, as well as playing CDs, docking your iPod/iPhone, playing FM/AM and internet radio and streaming music from a wireless network, it can also link up with iTunes on your computer or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice name

As a Gaelic learner, at last I see a word I recognise, but calling it a music player is tautological - you could leave it as Ceol player.

2. swisstoni

uPNP

Does it support uPNP or DLNA for those of us without Jesus Phones or Fondleslabs.

I've been using the 2player app on android for a while to do similar things to AirPlay and it's great.

3. Kristian Walsh Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Gaelic Keyholes indeed...

In Irish*, the word "ceol" has a single syllablle. "Ceo" is pronounced like the first syllable of "Kyoto" and the L is sounded as would be normal in English. Rhymes with "mole".

*never "Irish Gaelic". Ever.

Nice device though. Denon make very good small Hi-Fis. If I was looking, and there was one without the Apple nonsense, it would be on my list.

1. John 62

I'm not a linguistics expert

I suppose calling the English language "English Modern Frisian-Latin" would be a bit cumbersome, hence "Irish" instead of "Irish Gaelic", but I think adding the Gaelic modifier adds a bit of clarity on an English-language site aimed at people who probably aren't familiar with the languages and dialects of the British Isles.

(it's all mostly Modern Indo-European anyway.)

2. rmacd
      Thumb Up

Gaelic

Of course, Ceòl also Scottish Gaelic* for 'music'... yet people forget such a language exists and is spoken.

*Yes, I agree with above post, Irish = Irish, but Scots Gaelic is "Gaelic"

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Gareth Gouldstone
    Happy

Multi-room capabilities...

"You can play back through up to six sets of speakers simultaneously, though it won’t let you assign different tracks to different speaker sets at the same time, so it stops short of being a genuine Sonos-bothering multi-room system."

You can play different iP*d/PC/Mac sources through different Airport express-connected speakers, though, and use an iP*d as a remote control for the PC or Mac iTunes. I do this to 6 sets of speakers from 8 possible sources, all controlled from a single MacBook running Apple Remote Desktop.

All for MUCH less than a multi-room Sonos.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like