back to article Intel gifts world open source FCoE

Intel has officially introduced its Open FCoE software stack, based on the native OS Fibre Channel Over Ethernet project it first open sourced in 2007. Intel Open FCoE is free for use with Intel's X520 family of 10 GbE (Gigabit Ethernet) server adaptors, and it has been qualified for Microsoft Windows, Red Hat and SUSE Linux, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Flame

Wrong heading

Right heading should be "Intel promotes its CPUs"

People offload TCP, FCoE, Crypto, etc tasks onto network hardware for a reason - to free CPU cycles. That reasoning however is a big "I shot myself in the foot" for a CPU maker. So the fact that it "runs mostly on the CPU" is rather unsurprising.

Paris Hilton

Those supported network cards... appear to be Fibre not ethernet

Looking at the Intel X520 server cards mentioned, they appear to be fibre based still:

http://www.intel.com/Products/Server/Adapters/X520/ethernet-X520-overview.htm

Note the SFP+'s for everything (fibre technology).

There is _one_ model in the range that mentions it can do copper, and that seem to only be "SFP+ Copper" - effectively a fiber<->copper adapter.

In short, it looks like their supported products are using very expensive SFP based technology, instead of existing 10Gb/E stuff (ie CX4) or Infiniband (cheap and plentiful).

WTF?

Eh?

Not that I know much about Fibre Channel (as is about to be made obvious), but isn't it just a fast network - ie - it's hardware? In which case, why bother with the "...over ethernet" bit. Why not just use 10Gb ethernet and cut out the middle man that is "fibre channel"?

its the hardware, and the software

In a stroke of genius, the folks that came up with Fibre Channel decided to use that name for the protocol that runs over the hardware, for the Fiber-optic hardware, and even for the copper cables that the majority of the kit I've seen seems to use.

So, you can do stuff like run Ethernet protocols over Fibre Chanel copper wires if you want to max out your confusion.

FAIL

Re: Those supported network cards... appear to be Fibre not ethernet

Errr... ethernet is not copper, ethernet is a protocol for framing data, it doesn't matter if it's copper or fibre. Besides which, SFP+ Direct Attach (copper) is cheaper than CX4 stuff by some margin - and the cables are about 1/10th the diameter and thus much easier to manage and much much much cheaper to purchase. Think you need to go get re-educated on 10GE and Ethernet in general :)

That's nice...

Now if we can get the fabric makers to do FCoE without having to split it out at some point, that would be fabulous!

We'd *love* to have FCoE on the VM clusters we just bought, but our SAN device doesn't support it, nor does our switch fabric unless we split it out at the other end of the link.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums