back to article Greece tells Siemens it wants damages

The Greek investment minister Haris Pamboukis said yesterday he wanted damages from Siemens following a year-long investigation into bribery allegations. The Greek government has spent 11 months looking at Siemens' track record. It estimates the German conglomerate has cost the country £1.7bn (€2bn). The investigation found …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Better than those nasty austerity measures

I suppose there is some kind of irony in suing the companies that bribed your own government. Or is it chutzpah?

Paris, 'cause she's the only icon worth a f**k

1. DavCrav

Bribed people, not government

My guess is that they didn't bribe the government, but individuals in the government, causing the government, and hence the taxpayer, to lose money. Both the individuals, and the bribing company, should be hauled over hot coals.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fine

I guess Siemens could just not pay the fine. Thats it works in Greece isn't it?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Nope

You ask the European Central Bank for some help.

It then socializes the cost over Europe by printing money and ratcheting up inflation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Common secret.

It's a common secret here in Greece that two major political parties are getting money under the table.

I mean, the amount of money the government pays to the parties for "pre-electional advertisements" is pretty miserable, and yet all these years the parties managed to pull million dollar advertisements on TV and on the streets.

Did anyone really thought that they were paying for those ads from their own pocket? Of course, nobody bothered to ask them were they got them.

In Greece, you never ask someone how they made their money, because he 'll then ask how you made yours. And this is where things starts to get uncomfortable...

4. UBfusion
    FAIL

Slow news day?

No one ever went to jail (or paid for damages) in Greece over really big financial fraud and it seems no one ever will, be it a govt, a political party, a company or a big tycoon. However, little guys regularly lose their homes over 100 euros of debt.

If it wasn't for the ~40% profit tax, Greece would be a global investment paradise - it's the country of zero risks and zero liability.

5. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Paris Hilton

Of course it won't hurt Greece's debt levels will it?

Make a multinational pay a stack of euros into the treasury, that's a good way to inject capital into debt-ridden Europe.

Paris because she's in Europe too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like