Feeds

back to article iPhone, Android app offers 3D ads in Oz Open

Australian tennis fans are about to get the opportunity of a lifetime: they can download an app for iPhone or Android that will add a 3D “augmented reality” overlay to advertisements for KIA Optima cars. Instead of having to endure the normal stream of advertisements that interrupts every Australian sporting event, SMG Red, a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
FAIL

Hmmm

Sometimes I start to question my sanity when I see something as utterly braindead as this or am I missing the point? There a few other things going on in Australia that could really benefit from human ingenuity a bit more than this.

Stop

Ads?

I own a PVR for a reason! I run adblock and noscript. Who watches ads these days.

Silver badge
FAIL

Uh?

What? I recognise all of the words but their meaning in this context eludes me.

What do they mean by 3D Augmented Reality? All the Augmented Reality I have seen involves looking through the camera viewfinder at the view in front of you with data overlayed in a Fighter Plane HUD style.

Do we have to watch the TV through the phone camera? Somehow I doubt it.

Then there is the part about pointing the phone at a Kia logo? What Kia logo? Is it on the TV?

How does your phone know where your TV is let alone having the ability to ascertain that you are pointing at a logo on the screen?

Somehow I suspect that the truth is somewhat less techy than the hyperbole suggests.

The reality most likely is that you need to have the "Kia app" running on your phone in desperate anticipation of the "Kia Ad" coming on the TV. When the ad comes on you can "point the phone" (at the pot plant in the corner of the room for all that it matters), click the app and voila, a "3D" Kia appears on your phone, complete with working headlights! Wow!

Marketing, aint it a grand thing?

This topic is closed for new posts.