Feeds

back to article HP euthanizes Neoview data warehouse iron

With IBM's Watson question-answer machine getting ready to play the Jeopardy! game show next month and Oracle's Exadata and SuperCluster data warehousing appliances hogging a lot of the headlines last year, HP's Enterprise Business group needs to come up with something flashy to get some attention and do a little business. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

Predictable

A little part of me dies every single time I see that stupid "HP invent" logo. It is a long time since HP has invented anything of any consequence. They should rebrand themselves as "HP Acquires". This is just another of the consequences of a completely disjointed approach to the marketplace, with product lines that torpedo each other with alacrity, and a lack of direction from the top managers who since Fiorina have been padding results by squeezing the supply chain and little else. As for Itanium... just port HP-UX to X64 and move on. I am reminded of IBM hanging on to OS/2 when everyone knew it was dead.

death of Itanium

They have 3 OS that run on Itanium and are trying to wring all the $$ they can out of them before telling them that they are gone. They should have moved NSX, VMS and HP-UX to a real processor a long time ago.

Grenade

My god TPM, Did IBM and Oracle help you write this?

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why Neoview failed to get any traction in the market - I seriously doubt the fact it had Itanium processors in it was one of the major ones. Do you not think it was perhaps down to software and implementation issues - or is it just easy for your IBM buddies to feed you a line about Itanium?

Silver badge
Troll

Wrong "victor"

I don't think Oracle's Exadata had anything to do with the death of Neoview, other than to emphasise that those kind of appliances are going x64 rather than using "traditional UNIX CPUs" like Itanium, Power or SPARC64. Exadata itself uses Xeons. Even going to the Tukzilla blades can't have made the Neoview kit as cheap as new x64-based options using hp's own x64 blades. What probably did kill it was hp don't seem to want to port NonStop to x64, which means Neoview can't compete on price with the new hp-Microsoft Frontline appliances. Now, didn't someone at the Reg write an article recently on that Frontline stuff? Why yes, a certain Timothy Pickett Morgan! http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/19/hp_microsoft_frontline_appliances/ Am I surprised TPM painted it all up as an attack on Itanium? No, he never misses an opportunity. So, Tim, where's that OS/400 (or even AIX) port to x64 then?

Anonymous Coward

Porting NSK to Xeon?

>> Maybe HP should have ported the NonStop kernel and database from MIPS chips to Xeons instead of moving the code to Itanium chips?

I'm pretty sure when HP started the port of NSK to Itanium, the Xeon processors didn't support lockstep, which is vital for NonStop operation.

FAIL

HP and M$...says it all

Said it before, I'll say it again.

Any EVP or CIO that actually buys this carp must not know their ass from their elbow.

A Microsoft (cough..) appliance, for the mission critical back end? Are you Fecking kidding me?

Desperate HP, very very desperate.....

This topic is closed for new posts.