back to article Google plonks downloads on Iran after US lifts sanctions

Google is bringing software downloads of some of its products to Iran, after the US government relaxed export restrictions in the country. The world's largest ad broker confirmed in a blog post yesterday that its Google Earth, Picasa and Chrome browser products could all now be installed in Iran. But the company said it would …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ubuntu Is a Better Slide Rule
    FAIL

Is This Satire ?

Surely the bearded guys can obtain TOR somewhere and then appear as if they are Inuits from Greenland. Or gun-toting Alaskans. Most often they will look like Swede from Querswordgongburg (or another name I can't remember).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why be that complicated.

If you are a government type who isn't authorized to download the software from work, you sign up from home for AliNet which is allowed to download it. Copy it off to the government purchased external hard drive, and install it at work. No fuss, no muss.

Yeah, while I appreciate the intention of some of our laws, a logical examination of the way they are implemented does frequently make me want to pick up a gun and shoot them in the head. And then reason breaks through again and reminds me such an action would have no effect on their brain as they obviously don't have one..

2. Displacement Activity

NFTN

I get a fair number of downloads from Iran. Even if I wanted to block them, it would be difficult. Many come from small blocks of IP addresses that were initially assigned elsewhere (the US, mainly). It's not just Iran - I've seen this for countries all over Asia.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like