back to article Shocked mum muzzles foul-mouthed toy mutt

An Oxfordshire mum who bought her nipper a singing puppy toy was obliged to contact the tabloids when the fluffy mutt let rip with a torrent of "f*cks". Leigh McPherson, of Banbury, coughed up 22 quid at Asda for the My Pal Violet, expecting it to provide innocent entertainment for four-month old baby Mia. However, one of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. SuperTim
    FAIL

Fame hungry moneygrabber!!!

That does not even remotely sound like "F*CK". I would suggest that the "shocked parent" in question was more hoping to get a nice little payout or sell her story to the sleazier tabloids (yes I know that they tend to all be sleazy).

I wonder if Max Clifford is involved at all?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm curious

What does the four month old child think it said?

Assuming that its mother has not been using the word "f*ck" around her (and it's a big assumption), then I don't think there's any problem.

2. Matt Bradley
    FAIL

Is she barking deaf?

It is clearly singing "bark". I mean, what the bark is she on about??? I reckon she just wanted to get into the barking papers.

Also. It is singing in a British English accent (with a bit of southern twang, if anything).

Epic fail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A British English accent

What the hell does that mean?

There's English. Then there's a bunch of accented variations.

Here, try this: "He talks French with a French accent." Stupid, n'est-ce pas?

1. Paul 4
        Thumb Down

As apposed to

America English... Like Canadian French...

2. Robert E A Harvey

A bumb?

Not now, Kato!

3. thecakeis(not)alie

Actually...

...the French accept "Parisian French" as a denotation of dialect. Just like Franco-Albertan or are thier own distinct varations.

4. John G Imrie

He talks French with a French accent

as apposed to, say, talking French with a Belgium accent or a Canadian accent, sheesh.

1. Mark 65

@John G Imrie

Quite right, but he doesn't speak with a "French French accent" which is the way the original post was written. If it had said "with an English accent" it would suffice. "British English" sounds remarkably uneducated.

1. thecakeis(not)alie

@Mark 65

Who sounds uneducated?

Trust me, if you say to a native French speaker "Parisian French" they will understand. The French don't have the naming of dialects so wrapped up in national pride as you do. They are perfectly aware that other countries speak French. Along with that goes the need for differentiation.

As far as this Canadian is concerned, you don't need to specify "Canadian English," buy you sure as hell do have to specify "British English." You Brits speak some sort of completely barst arckwards hooey. Your "slang" is incomprehensible tripe and you've a plethora of accents and dialects that sound like someone speaking "proper" English whilst simultaneously gargling and getting strangled.

Unless you are speaking Canadian English with a northern Albertan dialect - I’ll have non ‘o that crap from the center of the universe - then you’re doing it wrong! That’s the One True Proper English, because regardless of where the language originated, we’re the ones who do it right.

See how easy it is to a right proper nationalistic ponce? Now jog on ya nationalistic barstwards…

2. Mark 65

Er no, just no

"Also. It is singing in a British English accent"

No, it is singing in an English accent. You do not have to specify British English the same as you wouldn't specify French French. It's the original and only variants need to be qualified.

1. Black Betty

Um London, West End, Cockney, Chav, Shire.

Uppercrust Plum, at least three brogues. Shall I continue?

All quintesentially Brittish, and none within a bull's roar of each other.

3. Alex, Leeds
      Thumb Up

Regional accents?

Quite correct, 'British English' does surely does not need to be specified

Saying that though, since there are so many regional accents I'm not really sure which one would be 'English'...? I suppose a generic southern one but of course you have cockney, west country, brummie, manc, liverpudlian, scouse, geordie etc. etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We got one of these stateside...

A relative bought this exact model for our 6 month old daughter this xmas and the "Happy and you know it" song is one of the ones we selected for her to listen to... I have to say I hadn't noticed a torrent of f-bombs come out the cuddly toy... I've just recreated the verse in question "bark with me" and the US model at least doesn't have this ambiguity though I agree that the flash video above is pretty damning...

The voice and music that ours plays vs the one in the video is near identical though so it's curious how this could have happened.

4. McToo
    FAIL

To these old ears...

that sounded remarkably like 'bark', the third time I could definitely hear the 'b' enunciated. Still, it does get Ms McPherson into the 'super soaraway Sun' eh?

5. raving angry loony

bark

Says bark with a definite "British" accent. Can't quite place which one ("southern" is as close as I get), but it's "bark".

Anyone who thinks differently has a filthy mind full of smut.

6. Haku
    Coat

Disability awareness

They could always re-package it as Terry The Tourettes Terrier.

1. Tim #3

Title

That's a f******g good idea

1. kwikbreaks

disagreee

> That's a f******g good idea

I thought it was barking mad

7. Cameron Colley

It's definately bark.

Though I suppose in certain accents fuck is pronounced almost "farc" and the first b is a little indistinct.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

I agree

There is some variation between the 3 occurrences of the word. The first and last one definitely sounds a bit like farc. In some areas of the UK, like in cockney land, "fack" or "fark" is the usual pronunciation for the f-word in question.

A casual listener would definitely have a double-take on that I think. If you listen more carefully, you can hear that it is supposed to be bark. The reproduction muffles it enough, though, to introduce some uncertainty.

Made me laugh though.

1. Peter Ford

Your Account

I argued the same thing for web sites which give you a 'Your Account' page - try that in the East End of London and see if you get a smack in the face...

8. Rich_Herds_Cats
    Megaphone

Shirley not?

This woman obviously needs to clean the wax out her ears!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Seems like a stretch

A case of hearing what you want to hear, I'd say.

10. Poor Coco
    FAIL

Um...

That recording was definitely NOT a "Yank accent". But I think I'll start using "bark" as a synonym for "fuck".

11. The Librarian

Sounds like...

..."bark" to me.

Methinks Leigh McPherson is having a barking laugh.

12. Tom 15

Hmm

Yeah, it does say bark but does sound a lot like fuck. Nothing to do with accent though?

1. Ned Leprosy Silver badge

Mumbles

About the only certain thing is that it wasn't very clearly pronounced. I can see how the first and third occurrences could be mistaken for "fuck", though going on to conclude "that's definitely what it said" is perhaps taking it a bit far.

13. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Here we go again!

Is this another one of those "Let's get outraged to get our mugs in the red-tops." stories? The thing has cheap and nasty sub-standard components and a ton of fake fur on it, the words are going to come out funny!

These always remind me of the old playground gag when I was 10 years old. Get someone to silently mouth "F**K YOU" and then tell the other person they are "gay" because they said "I LOVE YOU"!

1. Annihilator
      Happy

Playground gag

Is it more likely you got them to silently mouth "colourful" to make it look like "I love you"? Or that was certainly the one we used.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Playground Gag

"Elephant Juice" was what we used to say.

1. Daniel Evans

Pah!

Everyone knows it's "Elephant Shoes".

1. Graham Marsden

Or..

... get them to read out the name of the "Isle of Ewes"...

14. MAPINGUARI

auditory illusion?

Now, I've listened to this a few times, and whenever I expect it to sound like "bark", it sounds like "bark", and "fuck" when I expect "fuck" - just me?

1. Annihilator
      Boffin

Yup

Well that is the way to wreck a nice beach / recognise spech..

15. mhoulden
    Joke

Any thoughts on what could replace the recording?

How about the old classic "Ding dong bell/Pussy in the well"?

16. Si 1

Hear what you want to hear....

I thought it sounded like "f***" until I read on and saw it was supposed to be "bark". I think the expectation of hearing the f-word made me think I was hearing it. A bit like Adam Buxton's Songs of Praise subtitles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ZnPE3G_YY.

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

Exactly.

If you're not pre-conditioned by the story to hear "f***" then it's obviously "bark".

17. JP19
    Megaphone

Seek medical attention

This person needs to go see a doctor to have the impacted earwax cleaned from her ears.

18. Jolyon

Wrong kind of cynicism on the line?

Fame hungry twit mum or viral marketing for irritating toy?

19. JDX Gold badge

you say potato...

Hello I'm listener

1. TheOtherJola
      Go

Yaaaaaaaaay!

Wait, did he say listenER or listenING?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Stupid song

Who the hell says Potato as Po-tar-toe?!

20. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Not as effective as the dog I saw in Focus around Xmas that farts to the tune of Jingle Bells, it waves its bottom in the air in time to the music as well, barking hilarious.

Especially when me and my wife set around 20 off all at once :D

1. Elmer Phud

Not just me then

I've been told off for being childish by my kids when I set all the toys off at the same time.

It just has to be done.

1. SirTainleyBarking
        Thumb Up

Certainly does

Like spelling rude words with jars of herbs and spices on the shelves in Tesco

21. Badbob
    Paris Hilton

Bark me!

Really. Sounds like a small girl with a Hampshire/Sussex accent saying Bark to me. You can quite clearly hear the "B".

Paris, because she enjoys a good bark.

22. Stuart Halliday
    Thumb Up

Sounds rude

Sounds rude to me. But then I'm listening to it via a Tablet in my car...

23. Andy Hards
    Thumb Down

Nope

Couldn't hear it I'm afriad. I love things like this but this one just doesn soud like she wants it to. £22 for a crappy purple dog is a bt much though, even if you do get some unwanted extras. I saw a video the other day obout the things they oput in Disney movies that got past the editors and while one or two look like cocks I didn't see SEX in the dust as it swirled around and otheres were just as dubious. See and hearing what they want to hear. I used to play this game as a stoner teen looking up at the sk yand interpreting the clouds. Looks that one looks like a pig on a stick. That one is Concord playing a guitar and now its riding your mum etc etc etc .

24. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

No lip-sync...

...could cause confusions.

I saw a BBC doc about visual and audio illusions fairly recently. Possibly 'Horizon". A close up of a man's face as he said "bo" repeatedly. Then he spent 30 seconds saying "Vo", and then another saying "Fo"... It transpired that he had been saying the same thing all the time- just that the audio had been dubbed over the video of his face.

It was a powerful example of how we take clues from one sense to support our other senses, without realising it. Had this little doggy had an animatronic mouth and had its lips together when it said "bark" then there is a good chance this confusion might not have happened.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.