back to article Apotheker to shake things up at HP

Now that chief executive officer Leo Apotheker has made his worldwide tour of Hewlett-Packard's sites and big customers – and dodged the ongoing lawsuit between rival Oracle and former employer SAP – he is settling down to remaking HP into something more closely approximating his own image of the IT racket. According to a report …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Might my idea be better?

If they made me CEO of HP, I'd probably decide that smoothing it down and giving it a cuddle would be more beneficial and, in the long term, productive and profitable, than shaking it up.

Hasn't the poor company had more than enough of that already?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Might my idea be better?

No No, that's the employees you are thinking of! Oh wait :)

Anonymous Coward

It's not that

I'd rule out cuddling independent contractors too.

Oh... my turn to wait!

Seriously, though, isn't it time a bit of TLC for a company, not to mention the long view, got a bit more exposure in management? I'm willing to give it a go, but I wouldn't advise anyone to put any money on seeing the headline, "Unheard of sys admin comes out of tropical retirement to run MNC".

Silver badge

What about the other half?

> That's only 64 cores

Err, what about the other half?

Current configurations allow the use of 2 blade chassis to be used, so 16 blades, 32 sockets, 128 cores - just like the old fashioned fat boy, only in less than 1/2 the space. If you're rich enough they can also double the old memory limit to 4TB.

The webpage already talks about future releases bring scalability up to 256cores.

I guess it all depends on whether the spat with Oracle continues to the point where Oracle force all HP products out the price comparisons by even further hiking the license fees.

FAIL

Where have we seen this before?

I could swear I've heard this story before -- profitable hardware engineering company sells off its hardware business to some cut-rate manufacturer to focus on the wildly profitable world of "services." I think the other company that tried this is now a consulting company that sells mainframes in its spare time.

I see some big problems with this:

(1) If HP thinks EDS is a world-class consulting & services firm, they need to take a hard look at it again.

(2) Where are those of us who run businesses that really aren't "cloud-hostable" going to turn for hardware? HP is (was?) the only vendor that produces/produced a line of non-garbage PCs and servers. I shudder to think Dell is now the go-to provider in this space.

(3) HPUX and OpenVMS customers pour truckloads of money into HP every year, and support an entire ecosystem of applications. It would be pretty foolish to tell them to instantly port everything to commodity Linux or Windows servers -er- cloudmachines, and expect them not to say anything.

I'm telling you - this cloud stuff is just running its course. Eventually companies will figure out that it's just VMs and SANs in someone else's datacenter, and draw some sane boundaries about what they're willing to host and what will stay in-house. And when they do, they're going to need to keep buying hardware from somewhere to host the in-house stuff. If HP doesn't retain a toehold in the real world while trying to sell the cloud, things could get ugly.

Stop

What? No Matt B?

Where art though??? It's a story about HP...are you not meant to be singing it's praise's? Seems Apotheker isn't!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums