back to article Altec Lansing Octiv 450 iPad speaker

After a slow start, quite a few iPad speaker-docks in the shops these days, one of the most recent arrivals being the Octiv 450 from Altec Lansing – well known for its inMotion range of portable iPod speakers. The Octiv isn’t portable, but its compact design is neat and practical, and it produces a surprisingly robust sound. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nic 3

Zeppelin still wins

B&W were smart to make such a useful dock in the Zeppelin. It works for my iPad and iPhone perfectly. I suspect it would work for any iDevice.

It's expensive sure but it's the best you are going to get out of mp3 and a thing of beauty.

1. Dick Emery
      Thumb Down

But...

You can't balance you fondleslab on it.

1. Nic 3

You can.

I do. No tape or blue tack required! :)

Okay so mine is up on a shelf which helps.

2. pisquee
    Megaphone

Watt SPL?

Asking about Watts is the wrong question to be asking.

With Watts you are finding out how much electricity is being sent to the speaker, from there it depends on how efficient the speaker is as to how much sound actually comes out, and this is measured in SPL.

More relevant questions to be asking would be what is the SPL output of the speaker with 1 watt fed to it, measured at 1 meter, ideally with pink noise from 20Hz to 20kHz, rather than a 1kHz sine wave.

Or what is the maximum SPL of the speaker

1. Cowboydom
      Flame

Total pants response

Sorry, but what a load of faff. No "normal" person looking for some everyday useful speakers or hi fi system is going to be looking for (or understanding) any of what you just said.

Considering the price point and purpose of this device, how many watts RMS output per speaker is all you really need to know.

3. Don S.

Title required

The Airplay speaker systems on display at this years CES make this already obsolete.

4. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    WTF?

Ohhhh, yet another iPap speaker review!

You guys must be knee deep in the bloody things at Vulture Central.

Surely (yeah, yeah, don't call me Shirley!) you have better things to review than yet another speaker system.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like