Feeds

back to article PS3 telly add-on update hit by splash screen crash

Rather a lot of users of PlayTV, Sony's DVR accessory for the PlayStation 3, have lost their recordings in an attempt to surmount bugs introduced in a recent update. Following the release late last year of version 2.02 of the PlayTV software – which includes support for Freeview’s series link functions – many users have grumbled …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Stop

You don't need to lose recordings.

You can export them as videos to show on the XMB (or copy off).

I have the 2.02 update and not had a single problem, I don't know anyone that does. Clearly it's not as widespread as El-Reg seems to think.

Stop

Clearly?

So it happens not to be a problem on your box, and therefore "Clearly it's not as widespread as El-Reg seems to think"?

Assuming there are a few thousand of these boxes in use, you would need to be the owner of several hundred of them - or at least have several hundred friends with one, who you have consulted with - before you can start making "clear" observations about how widespread the problem may or may not be. Surely?

Thumb Down

I have this issue ever week or two

This happens every week or two for me, depending on how much I set the PS3 to record - it's pretty annoying.

If it wasn't for this bug, I'd highly recommend PlayTV, but as it is, I'd stay away.

Silver badge

I don't have this problem and neither do my friends..

...so how can this problem be widespread? Are you saying I've not got any mates? I know at least many ps3 owners (the number you claim in your article have this problem).

That 23 page thread on the sony forum was probably started by a bunch of kinect using xboxtards!

Bronze badge
FAIL

I have an original 60GB PS3

And it's not happening on my box. However, the OP's assertion that all you have to do is export is misguided as you can't do this if the software has hung!

FAIL

dismal

PlayTV is still a pretty dismal offering considering the capabilities of the PS3 and hasn't seen any significant improvements since release. Why is there any need to "export" to XMB anyway? why isn't it all neatly integrated in the first place? why can't I schedule recordings over the internet?

Bronze badge
WTF?

Um

It IS intergrated! You don't need to "export" to XMB unless you want to copy it elsewhere. Unfortunately, with the flakiness of 2.02, exporting to XMB is strongly advised while the software is still working. However, normally it's not a necessity.

PlayTV

I lost near 2 years of recordings after the update.

I have now started to export to XMB

As i have paid for the extras, which so far are not worth the money, i would hope they are going to add a reminder feature, and searching / listing progs by category (Films / Entertainment / Comedy etc)

Updates do seem to be rather slow.

So far so good

Well so it's not all bad I have to say I've been fine. Upgraded last week I think it was and it's been working fine since. I'd have noticed too if there had been problems since PlayTV is my only TV feed... this is with seris linking working too (building up Family Guy & QI XL).

I have been playing things from the library too and that's been working as well.

Oh well, fingers crossed... waited a LONG time for this too.

FAIL

Glad I didn't buy the upgrade

Wow, what a screw up that is. And all over one feature that very few people want (char), and another that a lot do want (series link), but doesn't justify the price.

As for the other comment, if you can't get into the software, then you can't export them to the XMB.

Silver badge

Wither DVB-T2

I think PlayTV would enjoy a second wind if Sony release a new dongle capable of DVB-T2. Or even satellite for that matter.

playtv2

apparently it's in the works but I've not seen anything about it for over a year.

Jailbreak it, install unbuntu and buy a linux compatible one instead ;)

FAIL

Sony, Sony, Sony...

Sort of hard to be a fanboy any more, dodgy updates, features removed, broken encryption, flailing handheld.

Great TVs though.

Sony vs Microsoft - Things have switched

I am so loosing interest in Sony, the PS used to be a great machine and I'd never touch microsoft. These days the Xbox is looking far superior and the connect interface wipes the floor with Sony's take on it. Sad to say it but Microsoft are heading the right way, yet Sony and sinking :/

Got Me

I've got the freeze. I'm leaving well alone and hoping a fix is pushed out over Plus that fixes it and keeps my videos. I've got tons of stuff I don't want to delete.

Fortunately I exported some f the "must keep" stuff.

Same problem here!

@sabroni This is an issue specific to PlayTV users. The fact that you have lots of friends with PS3's is irrelevant.

I've had this issue 3 times already and the fact that a number of others have too proves that there is a glitch in the update. I'm a huge fan of Sony products, but am also well aware of their lack of customer service across the board comparing to other companies of similar size, so I'm not holding my breath for a fix any time soon.

PlayTV is a great option for those wanting a cheap solution to Freeview+ funcionality (if they already own a PS3) and the GUI is far superior to any other I've seen/used including Sky+. My concern is that since I also use it as the main TV feed for my household, the PS3 spends a hell of a lot of it's time switched on, and I've had breakdowns in the past (which is why I've taken out the £5 per month PS3 support plan where they send a replacement the following month should anything happen).

@Simon B, you're blatently a Microsoft fanboy, yet you haven't worked out that it's Kinnect, not Connect so you're obviously not a very good one. Xbox doesn't even have an option like PlayTV so not sure how you're basing your comparisons. I have the Playstation Move and really like it, plus I know a few people with Kinnects who arent that impressed so your judgment is obviously based on personal preference. The PS3 is still by far a superior console in my opinion (again, this is personal preference)

Bronze badge
FAIL

Well...

I like your posts... but it's actually spelt "Kinect". And I don't even own anything Xbox-related.

Silver badge
WTF?

Read my post again.

Jesus! Do I have to put sarcasm tags round everything and use the Joke icon? Buffoon!

This post has been deleted by its author

FAIL

I hate to say this

PlayTV is without any doubt the most shoddy and dreadful product bearing the Sony name, and I include all those Sony Ericsson disappointments in that.

Why is it always the software that is Sony's Achilles Heel? Surely they've recognised the pattern by now? Hardware fine, software dreadful. Isn't it obvious?

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

To be fair...

... the software was perfectly fine till version 2 came out. If they could go back to version 1 and simply add a PROPER WORKING VERSION OF SERIES LINK (yes that was for you, SCE Cambridge Studio) then it'd be easily the best DVR out there.

It is seriously borked...

Luckily I didn't have any recordings, but my (new!) PS3 is now turning itself on randomly, and if I try to shut it down it claims PlayTV is running, which it isn't. I have to start PlayTV and then quit it, just to turn the thing off "normally".

Bronze badge
FAIL

It's not borked

It's the maintenance option, it's set to go on at around 4am (yes, AM). This is so that it can take a look at the schedules and set programmes according to your series link options. However, what's really monunentally stupid about it is that if you haven't paid for the add-on, you don't get the option to turn it off. What's EVEN MORE BIZARRE is (apparently - this is what they say on the PlayStation forums) that turning it off works... until you switch off the PS3 (when it resets it back ON). Dumb.

Stop

Yes, it IS borked.

No, it isn't - Maintenance is OFF on my PS3....

Try again....

Bronze badge
FAIL

Actually

Are you SURE it's off? A number of people on the forums have stated that switching it off doesn't actually stick and shutting down PlayTV and the PS3 in the usual manner has switched the option back on. Maybe you need to try again...

Flame

Oh the joys

Does make me laugh when one department of a company doesn't use the resources of another part of the company which has been doing the same thing for decades.

Mines the one with the Freeview HD compliance logo, DLNA player, & server (beta).

Bob

Bronze badge
Go

I've posted a few replies...

... but thought I'd add a problem that also cropped up with the version 2 update. Namely the Series Link function. It's completely rubbish. It regularly sets repeats of episodes you have already watched... even if it's on a completely different channel. It will also shove already-scheduled recordings out of the way if those recordings have repeats coming up and the original time will clash with another scheduled recording (never mind that you'd rather miss the episode that doesn't have repeats), it doesn't give you the option to maybe not move recordings or maybe prioritise certain recordings over others even if they aren't any repeats coming up (e.g. Coronation Street clashes with 100 Annoying Toys, no Play TV don't move Coronation Street, cos it'll mean that I'll have to watch at least TWO episodes tomorrow!).

FAIL

I'm using the update...

...and suffering various lock-ups and crashes but the most annoying bug by far for me is that if I try and manage my library while a recording is taking place, that recording gets aborted. Aaaaargh! And it used to be such a great little app.

Please sort the effing thing out, Sony. Or is this just instant karma repaying you for charging £7 to enable the series link function?

Silver badge
WTF?

That's it? Seriously?

I looked up this "series link" thing, not knowing what it was.

People are paying £7 for THAT?

This topic is closed for new posts.