Feeds

back to article NASA trumpets rocky exoplanet find

NASA has announced it's nailed the first "bone-fide" [sic] rocky exoplanet, which at 1.4 times the diameter of Earth is the smallest such body spotted to date outside our solar system. As its name suggests, Kepler-10b was identified orbiting star Kepler-10 - at a distance of 560 light years from Earth - by the agency's habitable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge
Coat

Rocky?

I did briefly wonder how anyone could describe something with a density "similar to that of an iron dumbbell" could be described as "unequivocably rocky".

Then I remembered that the Yanks don't do irony......

Bronze badge

Eh?

Why couldn't something with the density of solid iron iron not be rocky?

rocky?

I think TeeCee may have been a bit "rockonic" there.

No?

Please your self.

Coat

Re: Eh?

Well, with the right impurities and given the uncertainty of that 1,300 C - the iron might just be molten!

Conundrum: Is molten rock still rocky?

Mine's the one with the tungsten sample spoon in the pocket.

Anonymous Coward

Molten

Even with impurities and allowing a little for inaccuracy I don't think you could account for about 250 centigrade of error.

Thumb Up

Re: Molten

Actually a eutectic alloy of iron and antimony will be molten at 1300C - no error required (although that's a hell of a lot of antinmony), metals can behave strangely depending on the mix, take NaK as an example (Sodium and Potassium alloy) which is liquid at room temp.

Joke

Dumbbell

How different is the density of dumbbell iron from ordinary iron? or is the dumb in the wrong place.

Headmaster

"bone-fide"

Oh good Lord!

Still, well done on finding the planet, NASA

Anonymous Coward

"bone-fide"

Shurely "bone, fido".

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Abusing the American Language is FUN...

bona fide, bono-fide, it is only a borrowed term anyway.

I guess that American-folksy terms just don't sound sweet to sophisticated European ears.

We will sleep well, anyway.

Silver badge

Another example of that law ...

... that says that you will always make a spelling error when you have pointed one out - it should be "minuscule", not "miniscule"!

(Even though I have assiduously checked this, I just know there will be an error somewhere!)

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Another example of that law ...

Oh yeah?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/miniscule

Headmaster

Cheap at half the price

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/miniscule

Hmm, you get what you pay for.

Anonymous Coward

NASA finds Planet Hell?!?

That would be a great name, being so hot and so much iron.

This topic is closed for new posts.