back to article The optimised datacentre

If you're a datacentre manager then you know just how tough it gets. Whether the customer is a small business down the road or a large enterprise halfway across the globe, whether you work for a service provider or in an in-house datacentre, it all amounts to one thing: an unsquareable circle. On the one hand, everybody wants …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Dodoman
    Grenade

Damned Accountants!

The main problem is that for some strange reason I.T is commonly perceived as a "cost" by the I.T. illiterate financial folks. What they don't get is that everything used in a business has a cost. The only time they WILL realise the importance of I.T. spending is when you take away their tables, chairs, laptops and leave them with an abacus.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

@Dodoman

you're forgetting to point out to the accountants that they themselves are simply another cost to the business as well.

And if you gave them the abacus they'd expect you to train them (don't forget, accounts can't find the F1 key or read manuals, that's "technical") and it'd be our fault if they sit on it and break it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Accountants the problem?

Hardly. They just do the maths.

The fundamental problem is that IT is a cost and it doesn't have nearly enough sla attached to it. The business is running a business and most of them are exist to make revenue. Each part of the business needs to demonstrate and justify the part it plays in working towards that ambition.

Anytime now, the IT function is going to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the black box that is the IT dept and start demonstrating what it does for the business in very hard and fast tangible terms.

Don't hide behind bean counters.

This topic is closed for new posts.