Wireless telecommunications chip giant Qualcomm is spending $3.1bn to buy partner Atheros Communications, betting big on the future of Wi-Fi wireless communications. Qualcomm is one of the darlings of the dot-com boom that kept right on booming as people all over the world cut their phone lines and moved to wireless phones. The …
Atheros acquired Intellon in late 2009 so have quite a bit of Homeplug/Powerline network technology and IP at their disposal, so I'd expect to see that merged with existing Qualcomm/Atheros networking kit too.
The latest Atheros/Intellon Homeplug AR7400 chipset (formely INT7400) has bandwidth of 500Mbps which should see about 140Mbps of actual TCP/IP throughput over mains wiring, leaving WiFi around the home mainly for the mobile devices (assuming the WiFi signal isn't drowned out by your neighbours).
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- Pics Facebook's Oculus unveils 360-degree VR head tracking Crescent Bay prototype
- Bargain basement iPhone shoppers BEWARE! eBay exposes users to phishing vuln
- Google+ GOING, GOING ... ? Newbie Gmailers no longer forced into mandatory ID slurp