back to article Netgear integrates HomePlug and Wi-Fi

Netgear is to merge wireless and wired powerline networking, pitching at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) a "hybrid" 802.11n Wi-Fi router with an AC adaptor that doubles up as a HomePlug AV adaptor. It also launched what it claims is the first ever 500Mb/s powerline adaptor. First, the hybrid box, the N3200 - model number …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ayrshore
    Thumb Down

Oh goody

More Powerline Networking crap to destroy the airwaves illegally.

Users of Powerline Networking equipment in the UK (yes, that's USERS, not just sellers!) are liable to a maximum fine of £5000 - they don't tell you that in the press release, do they?

2. M0SNR
    FAIL

Netgear PLT review

Trendnet also have has a "500Mbps" product which doesn't appear to offer the advertised bandwidth - see:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31361-500-mbps-not-trendnet-tpl-401e2k-500-mbps-powerline-av-adapter-kit-reviewed

Can you check if the products are based on the Atheros chipset. If they are, ask them for a reply on the following - Atheros don't seem to want to answer the questions:

"The documentation for the AR7600 / AR1500 refers to the RD-4700-GE Reference design which claims to be "Emissions Compliant" to "CE Class A and Class B".

I assume that you are referring to EN55022? Please could you confirm whether or not this is the case. During the last three years that I have been involved with PLC, I have neither tested nor seen test results indicating passing class A emission levels, let alone class B. All devices that I am aware of are +30dB over these levels. In fact the following Homeplug presentation categorically states that "Safety, immunity and harmonics are correct but almost all PLC devices pass over the CISPR 22 class A, B limits so failed the test and we could not generate (directly) the DoC (Declaration of Conformity) needed for Europe" See:

www.homeplug.org/news/events/berlin2006_presentations/5PLC_Regulations1106.pdf

I am also quite concerned to see these devices operating at up to 68MHz. Please can you confirm which frequencies are notched in the spectrum 30MHz - 68MHz, as your products appear to operate across the Amateur 50-52MHz band which will cause a considerable amount of concern within the radio amateur community?

I look forward to your reply"

Thanks in advance

73 Richard M0SNR

3. Neil 7
    WTF?

First 500Mbps adapter, I don't think so.

Eh? Netgear are late to that pary[1] - hopefully their units don't suffer the same duff firmware as the Trendnets based on Atheros (Qualcomm?) chippery..

Also, how do you make two 200Mbps 200-AV adapters hit 500Mbps? Utter nonsense, they're either 200-AV units, or they are 500-AV units. Which is it?

1. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31361-500-mbps-not-trendnet-tpl-401e2k-500-mbps-powerline-av-adapter-kit-reviewed

4. Neal 5

I'm skeptical of this,

having just bought an n router touting a 1km range that barely reaches the 2nd floor (approx 10m) then it's fair to divide those figures by 100 at least IMO.

1. Wize

Depends on what its traveling through

Floors with reinforcement bar will attenuate your signal.

Had one mounted in our workshop in one building. No one in the workshop used the network (all big clanky hammers and stuff) but it was the only place where both floors of the building could get a signal. Put it on one floor of the office block and the flooring would stop the signal going up or down. Put it a distance away and everyone could see it via the thin wall.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like