back to article Skype adds video calls to iPhone app

Skype has released version 3.0 of its iPhone app, which adds video-calling capabilities to its internet-telephony tricks. Two-way video calls using Skype for the iPhone can be made over both Wi-Fi and 3G connections using an iOS 4.x-equipped iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and fourth-generation iPod touch – although the iPhone 3GS's lack …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

tried it.

sticking to face time.

Over 3G, even between phones on HSPA towers, the video was not just laggy, its reaaaaaly laggy and of significantly lower resolution. Even FaceTime over MiFi did better.

If anything, this is a good proof of why Apple chose NOT to include 3G video calling.... Its just not worth it. After a less than 4 minute call, I was having a hard time watching the screen.

btw, it's not just AT&T either, we tried it over Sprint and Verizon as well (we have numerous miFi like things around here). It was the worst by far over Verizon, video calls dropped after 15-30 seconds (no surprise, they have the slowest data speed of any provider here).

But...

I don't see the problem with offering the facility. The quality might be too low to be tolerable for you, but people in different areas/different telcos (outside of the US) might find that it works fine. Or maybe Skype will tweak it- change the resolution on the fly, or similar.

The point is, Apple basically decide whether you want to use it for you. I want to make that choice myself.

Thumb Up

Fits in nicely with new regulations

The recent FCC regulations that specifically prohibit carriers from blocking competing telephony services work nicely with this new expansion by Skype.

Skype is also a large enough brand that Apple can't really go blocking it without cause.

Hopefully, this is enough of a wedge to open up the wireless markets to more competing telephony implementations, and begin the process for mobile connections becoming just another data pipe.

At last

Well.. after the epic fail of facetime (sends a chargeable SMS every time the phone boots, then refuses to work unless Apple 'likes' your phone number, which in many cases it doesn't) it could hardly be worse.

TBH I'm not that into video calling anyway.. but it's sad that a feature that's worked fine on other phones for 5 years plus can't work on the iphone because of shoddy implementation.

FAIL

Fring had this a year ago...

And Skype killed it in a hissy fit.

Wow! (not)

I've been using Skype video calls on my Nokia N900 for quite a while now. OTOH, even if I don't like to admit it, the camera quality on iPhone 4 is way better, wish I had that on the N900.

Anonymous Coward

I tried it last night

On Orange in the UK talking to my father on Skype on his laptop. It worked really well, both over wifi and 3G. Quality over 3G was fine, I could see my own face on his laptop reflected in his glasses. I'm really pleased with it, as I've never quite got Facetime to work reliably and I have many friends with no wifi.

Silver badge

Get off the information highway Skype

your in everyone's way - even those who are think you're great.

Or let other VOIP apps talk to you like a VOIP app should do - but then you couldn't take money from the ignorant could you?

Thumb Up

@Michael C

@Michael C

Tried it here on 3 and it seems absolutely fine. I suspect your problem IS AT&T.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums