It's been a busy week or so for coders hacking AirPlay, Apple's media streaming protocol. We've seen code posted to allow streaming from Macs to Apple TVs, from iPads to Linux boxes running XBMC, and now we have an iPad-to-Windows link enabled. The app you need is AirMediaPlayer, with runs under Windows XP, Vista and 7, and it …
If only Apple themselves would do something along these lines. I want a nice way of sending audio and video from my iPhone to my media centre Mac mini - I don't want to buy a bloody Apple TV just for this one task thank you Apple.
I was pissing by the door...
is this AirFlick ...
of the Gestapo?
I don't know much about AirPlay, but is this really just an Apple-only version of DLNA?
If so, why?
It's not DLNA, not even close.
1) DLNA is not open, its members only, AirPlay is open, and is no longer "just apple." Just because apple had a hand in it, is it bad? (USB, 1394, DisopayPort, I can easily go on).
2) DLNA is not free, AirPlay is free to all registered devs.
3) AirPlay supports every DLNA core codec, plus Motion JPG, giff, tiff, AAC, HE-AAC, WAV, and actually supports DRMed files as well, plus, it supports any codecs an app can decode and feed into the transfer on the fly, which DLNA does not support (since there is not app SDK for DLNA software yet, only hardware level integrated support). The only codec AirPlay does not support is MPEG4 part 2 (divx) but that can be wrapped into MPEG4 part 10 (H.264) without actually having to recode the video (it takes seconds, and has no impact on the video quality at all, it does NOT involve trans-coding into a new format, just a new carrier format)
DLNA is a money maker, like FLV or MPEG before it was opened up. It is not a free platform, and we, the community, should be AGAINST it, not trying to support it.
The AirPlay SDK IS OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apple gave it away, free...
just like DLNA then
Denon charge £50-odd extra for their kit to work with Airplay, brands seem to have to be invited to join the scheme and then have their logos on Apple marketing material - I would be surprised if there weren't licensing fees changing hands.
Airplay is very much like DLNA - crap and nasty. Except it's crapper and nastier. UPnP AV is the open choice.
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Feast your PUNY eyes on highest resolution phone display EVER
- Analysis Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
- AMD demos 'Berlin' Opteron, world's first heterogeneous system architecture server chip
- Leaked pics show EMBIGGENED iPhone 6 screen