back to article Opera beefs Android with 'open' widget platform

Opera has rolled out a widget platform for Google's Android operating system that supports the WAC specification, a multi-mobile-giant effort to create a common set of application APIs across handheld devices. On Wednesday, the Norwegian browser maker introduced an alpha version of its Android widget runtime, hoping to jump …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

What a chance

What a chance. I have downloaded Opera 11 and I will return soon with something stupid.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Most excellent it is too.

Opera 11 is easilly the best browser in the market, why? Because it's got the best performance, it's got the best features, it's got the best track record on security, it's got the best looks.

Sure it's got a small marketshare, but then it's not backed by Microsoft/Google/Apple/Mozilla, the first 2 of them having bottomless reserves of cash and media influence to push their products, and in the case of Microsoft/Apple bundle/force their products on users.

Anyone that calls themselves web savvy will be using Opera. End of....

3. spencer

Vimperator

Really need this plugin to be made for opera - makes browsing on a netbook *so* much easier.

4. John P
    Thumb Up

jolly good show

I got the update of this yesterday, no one can sneak out a browser update like Opera!

Fantastic additions - Tab Stacking beats Firefox's Tab Candy hands down as a tab organisation tool, the new gesture indicator is useful (I'd forgotten about the gesture for opening a background tab) and the extensions have already given me several less reasons to use Firefox.

Fingers crossed, Opera seems to be getting along with my company's proxy authentication now too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Stackable Tabs

Truly a fab feature. I love this. Been using Opera 11 on both Linux and OS X and its just the best browsing experience I've had in a loooong time.

I kinda like the email client, too.

Its also undoubtedly the best browser for netbooks, too, in my opinion.

5. Patrick O'Reilly
    Thumb Up

Widgetastic

Best news in a long time. I always said that Opera should bring their widget platform to more smartphone platforms. The barriers to entry for building quasi-native apps are now down and the array of API's they are a quite impressive for an alpha version, it's quite similar to Phonegap, however with the speed of Oprea's javascript engine.

Now all they have to do is port the widget engine to their Mini platform and enable millions of feature phones to run widget apps too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Like this?

You mean like this?

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/03/22_3/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like