back to article MS withdraws misfiring Outlook update

Microsoft has withdrawn a recently issued patch for Outlook 2007 following the emergence of conflicts with third-part email accounts. Users who installed the Outlook update (KB2412171), which was published on 14 December, also complained of problems and general sluggishness in moving between email folders or following Calendar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dick Emery
    Jobs Horns

Title etc

I cannot believe people still use the festering pile of dung called Outlook. No wait. I can. My friend won't relinquish his grip on it despite the numourous times I have tried to wean him off it and telling how bad it is.

I guess it's like wearing those old, frayed trainers. They may have leaky soles but they are comfortable and you don't like to change them until they fall off and hurt your feet!

1. Spearchucker Jones

Sooo....

...why don't you suggest an alternative? Maybe outlining how said alternative matches/exceeds Outlook 2007 in terms of usability, stability, features, security, cost and performance?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Name me a better app.

That works so well with MS Exchange.

1. Hans 1
        Grenade

Tunderbird

Thunderbird hands Outlook the water anytime ... I use it all the time. On Exchange server, we have enabled the IMAP service.

There, done!

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge
      Stop

@Dick Emery

While MS Outlook is, in general, appalling and hasn't changed noticeably since the '97 release (many of the old bugs and stupidities are still in there), the lack of really good alternatives is shocking.

Yes, there are alternatives, but not very many and most really aren't that good. Often these alternatives miss vital functionality, such as "native" MS Exchange access (yes, the point of this is not lost) or appalling calendaring functions or calendar functions that just aren't integrated enough or as well as Outlook integrates its calender.

The end result is that until a good and viable alternative comes along most business users are stuck with MS Outlook, not just because of the vendor lock in but because, despite everything, it is better than the alternatives.

4. N2

Festering pile of dung?

Thats far too generous, imo.

5. Nigel 11

Outhouse! not outlook

The best way to get people off it is to call it Outhouse. They'll ask you why you do, and you'll tell them!

2. Tom7
    WTF?

People use Outlook for Gmail?

Dear God, why???

3. Inachu
    Pint

I'm confused!!!!!

I do not keep u p on outlook news.

I thought MS got rid of the ability to access from outlook hotmail unless you paid for the ability to do so.

how long ago did they make this free again?

4. Tom 13
    FAIL

What? Nobody at MS has a gmail account to test their application?

Not even a test account?

5. Adam Trickett
    Linux

People use Lookout out of choice?

I can understand people who are forced by their ignorant employers to use Outlook, but no one in their right mind would choose to use it would they?

1. Chris Parsons

As posted above...

If you're in a corporate environment, and you're using Exchange - not unusual - name me a better email client, please.

6. Hans 1
    Flame

Killing competition

Ervery so often, when I go onto www.microsoft.com with my Forefox browser, I get "The Server has reset the connection" and I have to refresh again. I only get this with FF.

Now they block gmail?

WTF?

This is all calculated ... Apple & Google may be evil, but not this evil!!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like