back to article Vblock clouds moisten the data center

Michael Capellas, the former CEO at Compaq and since May of this year the CEO heading up the Acadia cloudy infrastructure partnership between Cisco Systems, EMC, and VMware, has been making the rounds, talking up the partnership and its Vblock virtualized server and storage stacks. In a column over at CNET, John Webster, a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Vendor lock in

These sort of partner stacks sound all well and fine but ultimately they tie you in and restrict your options. The Cisco blade servers just seem pricey at this time compared to what I can get from both HP and IBM and while I have and like the EMC storage it isn't always my first choice. VMware right now is the top dog but Hyper-V has improved dramatically and Xen is proving to work well in some of my situations.

It feels like there is a premium being charged with this idea and personally I can't justify paying a premium and getting locked into a fixed set of hardware and software.

A couple corrections

1. There's no BMC Bladelogic in a Vblock. Instead EMC UIM is used for management.

2. There is no Vblock 3 at this time. Vblock 2 is the largest Vblock Infrastructure Package currently shipping.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums